If you are new to using a bong, you might be wondering how much water you need to put in it before smoking your favorite herb or tobacco. The answer is not as simple as you might think, because different bongs have different shapes, sizes and features that affect the optimal water level. In this blog post, we will explain the basics of how to fill a bong with water, and why it matters for your smoking experience.
Why Does Water Level Matter?
Water is an essential component of any bong, because it serves two main purposes: cooling and filtering the smoke. When you light up your herb or tobacco, the smoke travels through the downstem (the tube that connects the bowl to the base) and into the water. The water cools down the smoke, making it smoother and less harsh on your throat and lungs. The water also filters out some of the tar and ash that would otherwise end up in your mouth or respiratory system.
However, not all water levels are created equal. If you put too much water in your bong, you will have to inhale harder to pull the smoke through the water, which can be uncomfortable and inefficient. You also run the risk of getting water splashed into your mouth, which is not very pleasant. On the other hand, if you put too little water in your bong, you will not get enough cooling and filtering benefits from the water, and you will end up with a harsher and dirtier smoke.
How Much Water to Put in a Bong?
The general rule of thumb is to put enough water in your bong so that the bottom of the downstem is submerged in the water. This is usually about half an inch, depending on the size and shape of your bong. If your downstem has slits or holes at the bottom (called a diffused downstem), make sure that all of them are covered by water. This will ensure that the smoke gets aerated and filtered by the water as much as possible.
However, this rule is not always applicable to every bong. Some bongs have more complex features, such as percolators, ice catchers or splash guards, that require different water levels. A percolator is a device that creates more bubbles and surface area for the smoke to interact with the water, resulting in a smoother and cooler smoke. An ice catcher is a notch or chamber that holds ice cubes above the water level, adding extra cooling power to the smoke. A splash guard is a dome or disc that prevents water from reaching the mouthpiece.
If your bong has any of these features, you will need to adjust the water level accordingly. For example, if your bong has a percolator (or multiple percolators), you will need to fill each chamber with enough water to cover all the openings of the percolator. If your bong has an ice catcher, you will need to add less water than usual, because the ice will melt and increase the water level over time. If your bong has a splash guard, you can add more water than usual, because it will prevent any water from getting into your mouth.
How to Fill a Bong with Water?
Filling a bong with water is not rocket science, but it does require some attention and care. Here are some tips on how to fill a bong with water without making a mess:
- Use clean and fresh water. Tap water is fine, but filtered or distilled water is better for avoiding any contaminants or minerals that could affect the taste or quality of your smoke.
- Remove the bowl and downstem from your bong (if they are detachable). This will make it easier to pour water into the base without spilling it over the edges.
- Pour water slowly and carefully into the base of your bong through the mouthpiece or downstem hole. Watch the water level as you pour, and stop when it reaches the desired level.
- Replace the downstem and bowl into your bong. Make sure they fit snugly and securely.
- Test your bong by inhaling through the mouthpiece without lighting anything. You should hear a bubbling sound and feel some resistance from the water. If you hear a gurgling sound or feel too much resistance, you have too much water in your bong. If you don’t hear or feel anything, you have too little water in your bong. Adjust the water level accordingly.
- Enjoy your bong!
Knowing how much water to put in a bong is important for getting the best smoking experience possible. The optimal water level depends on the size and features of your bong, but the general rule is to submerge the bottom of the downstem in water. You can experiment with different water levels to find what works best for you, but remember to always use clean and fresh water, and to fill your bong carefully and slowly. Happy smoking!