A bong is a pipe used to smoke dry herb that uses water to cool and filter the smoke. When you hit a bong, the smoke is pulled through a water-filled chamber. Then as the smoke bubbles up through the liquid, the water simultaneously cools down the temperature of the smoke and pulls out fine particulate matter such as tar and ash.
Bongs are popular because they can produce large hits of smooth and potent smoke. They also come in a variety of shapes, sizes and materials, from simple glass tubes to elaborate works of art. Bongs can be made out of plastic, silicone, bamboo, metal, ceramic and more.
If you are new to bongs, you may be wondering how to use one properly. In this blog post, we will explain the basic steps of using a bong, as well as some tips and tricks to make your experience more enjoyable.
What You Need to Use a Bong
To use a bong, you will need the following items:
- A bong: You can buy one online or at a local headshop. Make sure it is clean and has no cracks or leaks.
- Herb or tobacco: You can use any kind of dry herb or tobacco that you like. Just make sure it is finely ground and free of seeds and stems.
- A grinder: This is a device that helps you break up your herb or tobacco into small pieces. You can also use your fingers or scissors, but a grinder will give you a more even consistency.
- Water: You will need enough water to fill the bong’s chamber until it covers the downstem (the tube that connects the bowl to the water).
- A lighter: You will need a flame source to ignite your herb or tobacco. You can use a regular lighter, a hemp wick, or a torch lighter.
How to Use a Bong: Step by Step Instructions
Once you have everything ready, follow these steps to use your bong:
Fill the bong with water.
Pour water into the mouthpiece (the opening at the top of the bong) until it reaches the waterline (the level where the water covers the downstem). You can also add ice cubes to the water if you want to make the smoke even cooler.
Grind your herb or tobacco.
Use your grinder or your fingers to break up your herb or tobacco into small pieces. Don’t make them too fine or they will fall through the bowl (the part where you put your herb or tobacco).
Pack the bowl.
Take some of your ground herb or tobacco and fill the bowl with it. Don’t pack it too tightly or it will restrict the airflow. Leave some space at the top for the flame.
Place your mouth on the mouthpiece.
Put your lips inside the mouthpiece, not over it. Create a tight seal with your lips so that no air escapes.
Light the bowl.
Hold your lighter over the bowl and inhale slowly and steadily through the mouthpiece. The flame will catch on your herb or tobacco and start burning it. As you inhale, you will see the smoke travel through the downstem and into the water, where it will bubble up and fill the chamber (the part where the smoke accumulates).
Clear the chamber.
When you have enough smoke in the chamber, remove the bowl from the downstem or take your finger off the carb (a hole on the side of the bong that helps clear the smoke). This will allow air to flow through the bong and push the smoke into your lungs. Inhale quickly and deeply to clear the chamber.
After clearing the chamber, exhale the smoke out of your mouth. Be careful not to cough or blow into the bong, as this can cause water to splash out or spill.
If you want to take another hit, repeat steps 3-6 until you are satisfied.
How to Clean Your Bong
It is important to keep your bong clean and change the water regularly. A dirty bong can harbor bacteria, mold, and residue that can affect the taste and quality of your smoke. It can also clog the airflow and make it harder to use.
To clean your bong, you will need the following items:
- Isopropyl alcohol: This is a common household solvent that can dissolve the sticky resin and tar that builds up in your bong.
- Salt: This is an abrasive agent that can help scrub away the stubborn stains and dirt in your bong.
- Ziplock bags: These are useful for soaking the smaller parts of your bong, such as the bowl and the downstem.
- Paper towels: These are handy for wiping and drying your bong.
- Pipe cleaners: These are optional, but they can help you reach the hard-to-clean areas of your bong, such as the inside of the downstem.
Once you have everything ready, follow these steps to clean your bong:
Empty and rinse your bong.
Pour out the old water from your bong and rinse it with hot water. This will help loosen up some of the residue and dirt.
Disassemble your bong.
Take apart your bong and separate the bowl and the downstem from the main body. If they are stuck, you can gently twist them or use a pair of pliers to pull them out.
Soak the bowl and the downstem.
Put the bowl and the downstem in separate ziplock bags and fill them with isopropyl alcohol. Add some salt to each bag and shake them well. Let them soak for at least 15 minutes or until they are clean.
Clean the main body.
Pour some isopropyl alcohol and salt into the main body of your bong. Cover the mouthpiece and the hole where the downstem goes with your hands or some paper towels. Shake the bong vigorously until it is clean. You can also use a pipe cleaner to scrub the inside of the downstem hole if needed.
Take out the bowl and the downstem from the ziplock bags and rinse them with hot water. Rinse the main body of your bong with hot water as well. Make sure there is no alcohol or salt left in any part of your bong.
Wipe everything with paper towels and let them air dry completely before reassembling your bong.
Bongs are a great way to enjoy your herb or tobacco in a smooth and satisfying way. They are easy to use once you know the basics, and they can enhance your smoking experience. Just remember to keep your bong clean and change the water regularly, and you will have a happy and healthy bong for a long time.
We hope this blog post has helped you learn how to use a bong. If you have any questions or comments, feel free to leave them below. Happy smoking!