If you are looking for a way to enjoy your herb or tobacco without spending a lot of money on a store-bought bong, you might want to try making your own at home. A homemade glass bong can be a fun and creative project that will give you a unique smoking experience. All you need are some simple materials and tools that you can find around your house or at a local hardware store. In this blog post, we will show you how to make a glass bong in 8 easy steps.
What You Will Need
To make a glass bong, you will need the following materials:
- A glass bottle. You can use any kind of glass bottle, but it is better to choose one that has a long neck and a wide base for stability and ease of drilling. You can also use a glass jar or vase if you prefer.
- A glass tube. This will be the downstem of your bong, which is the part that connects the bowl to the water chamber. You can use any kind of glass tube that fits snugly into the hole you will drill in the bottle. You can also use a metal or plastic tube if you don’t have a glass one.
- A bowl. This is where you will pack your herb or tobacco for smoking. You can use any kind of bowl that fits on top of the glass tube. You can also make your own bowl out of aluminum foil, clay, or metal.
- A rubber grommet. This is a small rubber ring that will seal the hole in the bottle and hold the glass tube in place. You can find rubber grommets at hardware stores or online. You will need one that has an outer diameter of 31/32 inches, an inner diameter of 1/2 inch, and a groove of 3/4 inch.
- A drill and a diamond drill bit. You will need these tools to make a hole in the glass bottle for the downstem. A diamond drill bit is specially designed to cut through glass without cracking or shattering it. You will need one that is 3/4 inch in diameter.
- A propane torch and pliers. You will need these tools to bend and shape the glass tube if you want to make a curved downstem.
- Water. You will need water to fill the bottle and cool the smoke.
Step 1: Clean the Bottle
The first thing you need to do is clean the bottle thoroughly with warm water and soap. Remove any labels, stickers, or plastic from the bottle. Rinse it well and let it dry completely.
Step 2: Mark the Hole
The next thing you need to do is mark the spot where you will drill the hole for the downstem. The best place to drill is on the upper curve of the bottle, where it starts to narrow into the neck. This way, you will have enough room for the water and the smoke inside the bottle. Place the rubber grommet on the bottle and use a marker to trace around it. This will be your guide for drilling.
Step 3: Drill the Hole
Now you are ready to drill the hole in the bottle. Attach the diamond drill bit to your drill and set it to 3/4 of its maximum speed. To prevent the glass from breaking, you need to keep it cool while drilling. To do this, run a steady stream of water over the spot where you are drilling. You can use a faucet, a hose, or a spray bottle for this purpose. Hold the bottle firmly with one hand and start drilling slowly with the other hand. Apply gentle pressure and let the drill bit do its work. Do not push too hard or too fast, as this can cause cracks or chips in the glass. Once you have drilled through the glass, stop and remove the drill bit carefully.
Step 4: Insert the Downstem
After drilling the hole, you need to insert the downstem into it. If you are using a straight glass tube, you can simply push it through the hole until it reaches the opposite side of the bottle base. Make sure that there is enough space between the end of the tube and the bottom of the bottle for water to circulate around it. If you are using a curved glass tube, you will need to bend it first before inserting it into the hole. To do this, heat one end of the tube with a propane torch until it becomes soft and pliable. Then, use pliers to bend it to the desired shape. Be careful not to burn yourself or break the tube while doing this. Once you have bent the tube, let it cool down and insert it into the hole. In either case, you should secure the downstem with the rubber grommet. Place the grommet over the tube and push it into the hole until it fits snugly. This will prevent air leaks and keep the downstem in place.
Step 5: Attach the Bowl
Now you need to attach the bowl to the top of the downstem. If you are using a ready-made bowl, you can simply screw it on or slide it over the tube. Make sure that it is tight and secure. If you are making your own bowl, you can use aluminum foil, clay, or metal. For example, you can wrap a piece of foil around the end of the tube and press it down to form a bowl shape. Then, poke some small holes in the foil with a needle or a pin. This will allow the smoke to pass through. Alternatively, you can mold some clay or metal around the end of the tube and shape it into a bowl. You can also decorate your bowl with paint, stickers, or beads if you want.
Step 6: Fill the Bottle with Water
The next step is to fill the bottle with water. The water will act as a filter and a cooler for the smoke, making it smoother and less harsh on your throat and lungs. To fill the bottle, pour water through the neck until it reaches about halfway up the downstem. You can also add some ice cubes to make the water colder and the smoke cooler. Do not fill the bottle too much or too little, as this can affect the performance of your bong.
Step 7: Pack the Bowl and Light It
You are almost done! The last step is to pack the bowl with your herb or tobacco and light it. To pack the bowl, break up your herb or tobacco into small pieces and place them in the bowl. Do not pack it too tightly or too loosely, as this can affect the airflow and the burning rate of your material. To light the bowl, use a lighter or a match and hold it over the bowl while inhaling from the mouthpiece (the neck of the bottle). As you inhale, you will see bubbles forming in the water and smoke rising in the bottle.