A glass bong is a device that allows you to smoke herb or tobacco through water filtration, which cools and smooths the smoke. Glass bongs are popular among smokers because they are durable, easy to clean, and come in various shapes and sizes. However, glass bongs can also be expensive and hard to find, especially if you live in an area where they are illegal or frowned upon. Fortunately, you can make your own glass bong at home using some cheap, basic supplies and a little bit of creativity. In this blog post, we will show you how to make a glass bong in 8 simple steps, as well as what materials and tools you will need.
Materials and tools
To make a glass bong at home, you will need the following materials and tools:
- A piece of glass tubing. This will be the main body of your bong. You can find glass tubing online or at a hardware store. The length and diameter of the tubing will depend on how big you want your bong to be, but a good rule of thumb is to choose a tube that is about 30 cm long and 2 cm wide.
- A glass bottle. This will be the base of your bong, where the water will be stored. You can use any kind of glass bottle, but make sure it has a wide mouth and a flat bottom. A wine bottle or a liquor bottle works well.
- A propane torch. This is what you will use to heat and shape the glass tubing. You can buy a propane torch online or at a hardware store.
- A working surface. You will need a flat, heat-resistant surface to work on, such as a metal tray or a ceramic tile.
- A pair of pliers. You will need these to hold and bend the glass tubing.
- A drill and a diamond drill bit. You will need these to make holes in the glass bottle and the glass tubing. A diamond drill bit is specially designed to cut through glass without cracking it.
- A rubber grommet. This is what you will use to seal the hole where the glass tubing meets the glass bottle. A rubber grommet is a small ring of rubber that fits snugly around the tube. You can find rubber grommets online or at a hardware store. Make sure you get one that matches the diameter of your tube.
- A bowl and a downstem. These are what you will use to pack and light your herb or tobacco. A bowl is a small cup-shaped piece of glass that holds your material, while a downstem is a thin tube that connects the bowl to the bong body. You can buy these online or at a head shop, or you can make your own using a highlighter and some aluminum foil.
Now that you have all your materials and tools ready, you can start making your glass bong by following these steps:
- Cut the glass tubing to the desired length. Use the pliers to hold one end of the tube and heat it with the propane torch until it glows red. Then, pull it apart quickly to break it cleanly. Repeat this process until you have a tube that is about 30 cm long.
- Heat one end of the tube and bend it into an L-shape. This will be the mouthpiece of your bong. Use the pliers to hold the tube near the end and heat it with the torch until it becomes soft. Then, carefully bend it at a 90-degree angle. Let it cool down before touching it.
- Drill a hole in the side of the bottle near the bottom. This will be where you insert the tube into the bottle. Use the drill and the diamond drill bit to make a hole that is slightly smaller than the diameter of your tube.
- Insert the tube into the hole and seal it with the grommet. Push the straight end of the tube through the hole until it reaches about halfway into the bottle. Then, slide the grommet over the tube until it fits snugly around the hole.
- Fill the bottle with water until it covers about 2 cm of the tube inside.
- Make or attach your bowl and downstem. If you have bought these separately, simply insert them into the other end of the tube and secure them with some tape or glue. If you want to make your own, follow these steps:
- Empty the contents of a highlighter and remove the tip and the ink cartridge. You should be left with a hollow plastic tube.
- Cut a piece of aluminum foil that is large enough to cover one end of the tube. Press it down into the tube to form a bowl shape and poke some small holes in it with a needle or a pin.
- Insert the foil-covered end of the tube into the glass tube and secure it with some tape or glue. This is your homemade downstem and bowl.
Making a glass bong at home is not as hard as it may seem. With some basic materials and tools, you can create your own custom bong that will serve you well for many smoking sessions. Just remember to be careful when working with glass and heat, and to clean your bong regularly to prevent mold and bacteria growth. Happy smoking!