If you are a fan of smoking herbs or tobacco with a glass bong, you might have wondered what kind of glass is used to make your favorite device. Not all glass bongs are created equal, and some are made of better quality glass than others. In this blog post, we will explain why borosilicate glass is the best material for bongs, and how to tell if your glass bong is made of it or not.
What is borosilicate glass?
Borosilicate glass is a type of glass that contains boron trioxide, which makes it more resistant to thermal shock, chemical corrosion and mechanical stress than ordinary glass. Borosilicate glass has a very low coefficient of thermal expansion, which means it does not expand or contract much when exposed to temperature changes. This makes it ideal for applications that involve high temperatures, such as laboratory equipment, cookware, and of course, bongs.
Why is borosilicate glass best for bongs?
There are numerous good reasons to make bongs from borosilicate glass rather than the “regular” glass or soft glass. Most importantly, borosilicate glass bongs are stronger and more long-lasting than ordinary glass bongs. They can withstand high temperatures without cracking, which is essential for smoking herbs or tobacco. They also have a high resistance to corrosion, which makes sure that your bong remains crystal clear and shining like new. Borosilicate glass is easier to clean than soft glass bongs thanks to their smoother, unpenetrable surface. This also makes it very unlikely for the glass to chip or scratch.
How to tell if your glass bong is made of borosilicate glass or cheap glass?
Unfortunately, not all bong makers are honest about the type of glass they use for their products. Some may claim that their bongs are made of borosilicate glass when they are actually made of cheap soft glass that can break easily and ruin your smoking experience. So how can you tell the difference? Here are some tips:
- Look at the price. Borosilicate glass is more expensive than soft glass, so if you see a bong that is very cheap, chances are it is not made of borosilicate glass.
- Look at the thickness. Borosilicate glass is usually thicker than soft glass, because it does not need to be blown as much to achieve the desired shape. A thin-walled bong may indicate that it is made of soft glass.
- Look at the joints. Borosilicate glass bongs usually have ground joints that fit snugly and smoothly with each other. Soft glass bongs may have glued or welded joints that can leak or break.
- Look at the color. Borosilicate glass can be colored in various ways, but it usually has a clear or translucent appearance. Soft glass can be opaque or cloudy, and may have bubbles or impurities in it.
- Look at the logo. If the bong has a logo or a brand name on it, you can do some research online to see if they are known for using borosilicate glass or not. You can also check customer reviews and feedback to see if they are satisfied with the quality of the bong.
Where to buy high-quality borosilicate glass bongs?
If you want to buy a high-quality borosilicate glass bong that will last you for years and give you the best smoking experience possible, you need to shop from reputable and trustworthy sources. Here are some examples of online stores that sell borosilicate glass bongs from premium brands:
Zob Glass Pipes
: Zob offers a variety of glass bongs of different sizes, shapes, colors and perc options. Most importantly, what separates their Zob glass bongs from other water pipes is that they use only the finest borosilicate glass.
Glass City Pipes
: Glass City Pipes offers a collection of scientific glass bongs and water pipes made with sturdy borosilicate glass. You can find traditional designs like beaker base shapes, straight tube bodies, pipes with percolators, special filtration systems, ice catchers / pinches, and more.
: Smoke Cartel is one of the most popular online headshops that sells a wide range of borosilicate glass bongs from top brands like Grav Labs, AMG Glass, Tsunami Glass and more. They also offer free shipping and returns, and a price match guarantee.
Borosilicate glass is the best material for bongs because it is strong, durable, heat-resistant, corrosion-resistant and easy to clean. To tell if your glass bong is made of borosilicate glass or cheap glass, you need to look at the price, thickness, joints, color and logo of the bong. You also need to buy your bong from reputable and trustworthy sources that sell borosilicate glass bongs from premium brands. We hope this blog post has helped you learn more about borosilicate glass bongs and how to choose the best one for you. Happy smoking!