If you are looking for a new way to enjoy your favorite herbs or tobacco, you might want to try using a glass bong with concentrates, oils, or wax. These products are also known as “dabs” and they offer a more potent and flavorful experience than smoking dry herbs. However, dabbing requires some special equipment and techniques that you should know before you start. In this blog post, we will explain what dabbing is, what you need to dab, and how to use a glass bong with concentrates, oils, or wax.
What is Dabbing?
Dabbing is a method of vaporizing concentrates, oils, or wax by applying them to a hot surface and inhaling the resulting vapor. Concentrates, oils, and wax are extracted from herbs or tobacco using solvents or heat and pressure. They have a higher concentration of active ingredients than dry herbs, which means they can produce stronger effects with less material. Some common types of concentrates, oils, and wax are:
- Shatter: A hard and brittle substance that looks like amber glass.
- Budder: A soft and creamy substance that looks like butter.
- Crumble: A crumbly and powdery substance that looks like honeycomb.
- Wax: A sticky and waxy substance that looks like honey.
- Oil: A liquidy and oily substance that looks like honey or syrup.
- Live resin: A fresh and aromatic substance that is extracted from frozen herbs or tobacco.
Dabbing can provide a more intense and flavorful experience than smoking dry herbs because it vaporizes the essential oils and terpenes that give herbs or tobacco their aroma and taste. Vaporizing also avoids combustion, which can produce harmful toxins and carcinogens. However, dabbing can also be more risky than smoking dry herbs because it involves high temperatures and potent products that can cause burns, explosions, or overdoses if not handled properly. Therefore, dabbing should be done with caution and moderation by experienced users.
What Do You Need to Dab?
To dab, you need three main components: a dab rig, a nail or banger, and a dab tool. Let’s take a look at each one in detail.
A Dab Rig
A dab rig is a special type of water pipe that is designed for vaporizing concentrates, oils, or wax. It is similar to a bong but it has some differences that make it more suitable for dabbing. A dab rig usually has:
- A smaller size and chamber than a bong to preserve the flavor and potency of the vapor.
- A bent neck or an angled mouthpiece to prevent the hot vapor from reaching your mouth.
- A percolator or a diffuser to cool down and filter the vapor for a smoother hit.
- A joint or a stem where you attach the nail or banger.
There are many types of dab rigs available on the market with different shapes, sizes, styles, and features. Some examples are:
|Faberge egg rig||A rig with a spherical chamber that has holes or slits to create a swirling motion of water and vapor.|
|Recycler rig||A rig with two chambers that are connected by tubes to recycle the water and vapor for maximum cooling and flavor.|
|Straight tube rig||A simple rig with a straight tube chamber that offers a direct and powerful hit.|
|Bubbler rig||A small rig with a bubbler chamber that offers portability and convenience.|
|Silicone rig||A flexible rig made of silicone that is durable and easy to clean.|
A Nail or Banger
A nail or banger is the part of the dab rig where you apply the concentrate, oil, or wax. It is usually made of metal or glass and it fits into the joint or stem of the dab rig. There are two main types of nails or bangers: domeless nails or bangers and domed nails or bangers. Let’s see how they differ:
- Domeless nails or bangers: These are nails or bangers that do not have a dome or a cover. They have a large surface area and a deep dish to hold the concentrate, oil, or wax. They are easy to use and offer more airflow and vapor production. However, they can also be more dangerous and wasteful because they expose the hot surface to the air and can cause burns or spills.
- Domed nails or bangers: These are nails or bangers that have a dome or a cover that fits over them. They have a smaller surface area and a shallow dish to hold the concentrate, oil, or wax. They are safer and more efficient because they trap the heat and the vapor inside the dome. However, they can also be more difficult and cumbersome to use because they require an extra piece and a precise timing.
There are also different materials used for making nails or bangers, such as:
- Titanium: A durable and heat-resistant metal that can withstand high temperatures and last for a long time. However, it can also affect the flavor of the vapor and leave a metallic aftertaste.
- Quartz: A pure and inert glass that can retain heat well and offer a clean and smooth flavor. However, it can also break easily and lose heat quickly.
- Ceramic: A porous and insulating material that can hold heat for a long time and offer a smooth and natural flavor. However, it can also crack easily and be hard to clean.
A Dab Tool
A dab tool is a small metal or glass instrument that is used to scoop, pick, or apply the concentrate, oil, or wax to the nail or banger. It is usually shaped like a spoon, a fork, a knife, or a needle. It is important to use a dab tool because it helps you avoid direct contact with the hot surface of the nail or banger and prevents contamination of the product. You should also use a different dab tool for each type of product to avoid mixing them.
How to Use a Glass Bong with Concentrates, Oils, or Wax
Now that you know what dabbing is and what you need to dab, let’s see how to use a glass bong with concentrates, oils, or wax. Here are the steps:
- Prepare your dab rig by filling it with water and attaching the nail or banger to the joint or stem.
- Prepare your dab tool by loading it with a small amount of concentrate, oil, or wax. A good rule of thumb is to use about the size of a grain of rice.
- Heat up your nail or banger using a torch lighter until it glows red. Be careful not to overheat it as it can damage the product and produce harsh vapor.
- If you are using a domed nail or banger, wait for about 10 seconds for it to cool down slightly before placing the dome over it. If you are using a domeless nail or banger, you can skip this step.
- Apply the concentrate, oil, or wax to the nail or banger using the dab tool while inhaling from the mouthpiece of the dab rig. Make sure to touch the product to the hot surface gently and evenly.
- Enjoy your dab and exhale slowly. You may need to take only one hit as dabs are very potent.
- Clean your nail or banger after each use by wiping it with a cotton swab dipped in alcohol. This will prevent residue buildup and maintain the flavor of your product.
Dabbing is an exciting way to enjoy your herbs or tobacco with concentrates, oils, or wax. It offers a more potent and flavorful experience than smoking dry herbs but it also requires some special equipment and techniques that you should learn before you start. In this blog post, we explained what dabbing is, what you need to dab, and how to use a glass bong with concentrates, oils, or wax. We hope this guide was helpful and informative for you. Happy dabbing!