A bong is a popular device for smoking herbs or tobacco, but it can also get dirty and smelly over time. The resin from the smoke can build up on the glass and discolor the water, affecting the taste and quality of your smoking experience. Moreover, dirty bong water can harbor bacteria, mold, and other harmful microorganisms that you don’t want to inhale.
That’s why it’s important to clean your bong regularly and properly, using simple household items like alcohol and salt. In this blog post, we’ll show you how to do it in a few easy steps.
What You Need
To clean a bong with alcohol, you’ll need the following materials:
- A dirty bong
- Coarse salt, such as sea salt, Epsom salt, or rock salt
- Isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol), preferably 91% or 99%
- Two large zipper storage bags
- Rubber stoppers or bong plugs
- A towel
- Water and soap
How to Do It
Follow these steps to clean your bong with alcohol:
- Remove the bowl, stem, and any other detachable parts from the bong.
- Rinse every piece with water to get rid of any loose debris.
- Place the bowl and stem in separate zipper storage bags. Add some coarse salt to each bag. Pour enough alcohol to cover the pieces completely. Seal the bags and shake them vigorously for a few minutes. Let them soak while you work on the bong.
- Pour some coarse salt into the bong. Add enough alcohol to fill it halfway. Cover the mouthpiece and the downstem hole with rubber stoppers or bong plugs. Shake the bong vigorously for a few minutes. You should see the resin dissolving in the alcohol.
- Remove the stoppers or plugs and pour out the dirty alcohol. Rinse the bong with hot water and soap. Scrub any remaining resin with a pipe cleaner or a brush.
- Rinse the bowl and stem with hot water and soap. Scrub any remaining resin with a pipe cleaner or a brush.
- Let all the pieces dry completely before reassembling the bong.
Tips and Tricks
Here are some tips and tricks to make your bong cleaning easier and more effective:
- Change your bong water after every smoking session to prevent mold and bacteria growth.
- Clean your bong at least once a week to avoid resin buildup.
- If you don’t have alcohol, you can use vinegar and rice as an alternative. The rice acts as an abrasive and the vinegar dissolves the resin.
- If your bong has complex features like percolators or ice catchers, you may need to soak it longer or use more alcohol and salt.
- If your bong is made of plastic, metal, or ceramic, be careful not to use too much alcohol or salt as they may damage the material.
Cleaning a bong with alcohol is a simple and effective way to keep your smoking device in good shape. By following these steps, you can enjoy a cleaner, smoother, and safer smoking experience every time. Happy smoking!