If you are new to smoking herb or tobacco, you might be wondering how to use a glass bong. A glass bong is a water-filtration device that produces smooth, clean and potent smoke. In this blog post, we will explain what a glass bong is, how it works, and how to use it for the first time.
What is a glass bong?
A glass bong is a type of pipe that uses water to cool and filter the smoke from burning herb or tobacco. It usually consists of one primary vessel that is air- and water-tight, along with a bowl and stem, and some sort of mouthpiece. Most bongs have a hole somewhere above the water level, known as the “carburetor”, “carb”, “choke”, “bink”, “rush”, or “shotty”, which helps to clear the smoke when released.
Glass bongs come in a variety of shapes and sizes. Some are simple and functional, others are handmade, stained-glass works of art. Glass bongs are preferred by many smokers because they are durable, easy to clean, and can enhance the flavor and aroma of the smoke.
How does a glass bong work?
The physics behind a glass bong are fairly straightforward: smoke is pulled through a chamber filled with water, and as the smoke bubbles up through the liquid, the water simultaneously cools down the temperature of the smoke and pulls out fine particulate matter including tar and ash. This results in a smoother, cleaner, and potentially healthier smoking experience.
According to a literature review published by researcher Nicholas V. Cozzi, a study in 1963 found that “water filtration reduces both the amount of particulate matter and the number and quantity of toxic substances in the smoke that passes through it.” Similarly,a number of studies throughout the 1970s found that THC tends to pass through water while a number of other, potentially harmful substances are filtered out and stay behind in the water. Further supporting these findings, a study published in 1991 concluded that when smoke passes through water or some other wet surface, a number of toxic substances are removed.
How to use a glass bong for the first time: Step-by-step instructions
Here’s everything you need to smoke a glass bong for the first time:
- Your favorite strain of herb or tobacco
- A glass bong. Be sure your bong has a downstem and bowl.
- A lighter or hemp wick
- A grinder
Follow these steps to use a glass bong for the first time:
- Prep your bong. Pour water into the mouthpiece until the waterline is above the base of the stem but below the bowl. You can also put ice cubes in the water if you’d like.
- Grind your herb or tobacco. The best way to do this is with a grinder, as the device will give you the most uniform grind.
- Pack the bowl with about half a gram of freshly ground buds. Don’t pack it too tightly or too loosely, as this will affect the airflow and combustion.
- Place your mouth on the mouthpiece and create a tight seal with your lips. Hold the bong with one hand and the lighter or hemp wick with the other.
- Light the bowl and slowly inhale until the chamber is full of milky-white smoke. If your bong has a carb hole, cover it with your thumb while inhaling.
- Release the carb or pull out the bowl and inhale the remainder of smoke from the chamber. Exhale and return the bowl.
- Enjoy the effects of your herb or tobacco. If desired, repeat steps 4-6 until you are satisfied.</li