A glass bong is a device that allows you to smoke herb or tobacco through water filtration, which cools and smooths the smoke. Glass bongs are popular among smokers because they are durable, easy to clean, and come in various shapes and sizes. However, glass bongs can also be expensive and hard to find, especially if you live in an area where they are illegal or frowned upon. Fortunately, you can make your own glass bong at home using some cheap, basic supplies and some creativity. In this blog post, we will show you how to make a glass bong in 8 simple steps, as well as what materials and tools you will need.
Materials and tools
To make a glass bong at home, you will need the following materials and tools:
- A piece of glass tubing. This will be the main body of your bong. You can find glass tubing online or at a hardware store. The length and diameter of the tubing will depend on how big you want your bong to be, but a good rule of thumb is to choose a tube that is about 30 cm long and 2 cm wide.
- A glass bottle. This will be the base of your bong, where the water will be stored. You can use any kind of glass bottle, but make sure it has a wide mouth and a flat bottom. A wine bottle or a liquor bottle works well.
- A propane torch. This is what you will use to heat and shape the glass tubing. You can buy a propane torch online or at a hardware store.
- A working surface. You will need a flat, heat-resistant surface to work on, such as a metal tray or a ceramic tile.
- A pair of pliers. You will need these to hold and bend the glass tubing.
- A drill and a diamond drill bit. You will need these to make holes in the glass bottle and the glass tubing. A diamond drill bit is specially designed to cut through glass without cracking it.
- A rubber grommet. This is what you will use to seal the hole where the glass tubing meets the glass bottle. A rubber grommet is a small ring of rubber that fits snugly around the tube. You can find rubber grommets online or at a hardware store. Make sure you choose a grommet that matches the diameter of your tube.
- A downstem and a bowl. These are the parts that you will use to smoke from your bong. A downstem is a short tube that connects the bowl to the main body of the bong, and a bowl is where you put your herb or tobacco. You can buy these parts online or at a head shop, or you can make them yourself using a highlighter and some aluminum foil.
Now that you have all your materials and tools ready, follow these steps to make your glass bong:
- Cut the glass tubing to the desired length. Use a marker to mark where you want to cut the tube, then use the propane torch to heat up that spot until it glows red. Then, use the pliers to gently pull apart the tube at the heated spot. You should end up with two pieces of tube with smooth edges.
- Heat one end of one piece of tube with the propane torch until it becomes soft and pliable. Then, use the pliers to bend it into a 90-degree angle. This will be the mouthpiece of your bong.
- Drill a hole in the side of the other piece of tube near one end. This will be where you insert the downstem into your bong. Use the drill and the diamond drill bit to make a hole that is slightly smaller than the diameter of your downstem.
- Drill a hole in the side of the glass bottle near the bottom. This will be where you insert the main body of your bong into your base. Use the drill and the diamond drill bit to make a hole that is slightly larger than the diameter of your tube.
- Insert the rubber grommet into the hole in the bottle. Then, insert one end of the main body of your bong into the grommet until it fits snugly.
- Insert one end of your downstem into the hole in the main body of your bong until it reaches inside the bottle. Then, attach your bowl to the other end of your downstem.
- Fill the bottle with water until it covers the end of the downstem. You can also add some ice cubes to the water to make the smoke even cooler.
- Light up your herb or tobacco in the bowl and enjoy your homemade glass bong!
Making a glass bong at home is not as hard as it may seem. With some basic materials and tools, you can create your own custom bong that will give you smooth and satisfying hits. Just remember to be careful when working with glass and heat, and to clean your bong regularly to prevent mold and bacteria growth. Happy smoking!