If you enjoy smoking herb or tobacco from a bong, you know how important it is to keep it clean and fresh. A dirty bong can ruin the taste of your smoke, harbor mold and bacteria, and even pose a health risk. Fortunately, cleaning a bong is not too difficult, and you can do it with some simple household items. In this blog post, we will show you how to clean a bong with hot water and salt, one of the most effective and affordable methods.
Why Use Hot Water and Salt?
Hot water and salt are a great combination for cleaning a bong because they work as a solvent and an abrasive, respectively. The hot water helps to loosen up the sticky resin that builds up on the inside of the bong, while the salt acts as a scrubber that removes the residue. Together, they can reach every nook and cranny of your bong and leave it sparkling clean.
Some people also add rubbing alcohol, vinegar, or dish soap to the hot water and salt mixture, but these are optional. Rubbing alcohol is a strong solvent that can dissolve resin faster, but it can also leave a harsh smell and taste in your bong. Vinegar is a mild acid that can help to break down stains, but it can also make your bong smell like salad dressing. Dish soap can help to remove grease and dirt, but it can also create bubbles and foam that are hard to rinse out.
The advantage of using just hot water and salt is that they are natural, cheap, and easy to find. They also don’t leave any residue or odor in your bong, so you can enjoy the pure flavor of your herb or tobacco.
How to Clean a Bong with Hot Water and Salt
Here are the steps to follow to clean your bong with hot water and salt:
- Empty the bong and rinse it out well with warm water. Pour out the old bong water and any spent herb or tobacco. Then give it a good rinse with warm water to remove any solid particles.
- Take the bong apart so you can clean the pieces. Remove all of the parts you can, including the pipe and the mouthpiece. Check for any damage such as chips or cracks, and replace any broken pieces before using your bong again.
- Add coarse salt to your bong. Pour three or more tablespoons of salt into the bong through the mouthpiece. The coarser the salt, the better, as it will act as a more effective scrubber. You can use table salt, kosher salt, Epsom salt, rock salt, or Himalayan salt.
- Fill your bong with hot water until it is just beneath the shaft line. Use water that is hot but not boiling, as boiling water can damage some glass or plastic bongs. The hot water will help to dissolve the resin and make it easier to remove.
- Plug the holes and shake it up. Use your hands, fingers, or thumbs to plug or block the open holes of the bong so that the water and salt don’t spill out. Shake it vigorously for about five minutes to get the best possible result. The salt will act as a scrubber that removes the resin from the inside of the bong.
- Rinse and repeat. Empty the dirty water and salt mixture into a sink and rinse out your bong completely with clean water. Repeat the cleaning process as many times as you need to until your bong is spotless.
- Clean the pipe and mouthpiece separately. Place them in a sandwich bag or a small container with some hot water and salt. Shake them well for a few minutes, then rinse them with clean water.
- Dry your bong and reassemble it. Use a paper towel or a cloth to dry your bong and its parts thoroughly. Then put them back together and enjoy your clean and fresh bong.
Tips for Keeping Your Bong Clean
To prevent your bong from getting too dirty in the first place, here are some tips you can follow:
- Change the water in your bong after every smoke session. This will prevent mold and bacteria from growing in the water, which can be harmful to your health.
- Rinse your bong with warm water after every use. This will remove any loose particles of herb or tobacco that can stick to the glass.
- Clean your bong regularly with hot water and salt. Depending on how often you use your bong, you should clean it at least once a week to keep it in good condition.
- Store your bong in a cool and dry place. Avoid exposing your bong to direct sunlight, heat, or moisture, as these can damage the glass or plastic and cause stains.
Cleaning a bong with hot water and salt is a simple and effective way to keep your bong in tip-top shape. It will improve the taste and quality of your smoke, as well as your health and hygiene. All you need are some basic household items and a few minutes of your time. Try it out and see the difference for yourself.