A bong is a popular device for smoking herbs or tobacco, but it can also get dirty and smelly over time. Resin, tar, and bacteria can build up inside the bong, affecting the flavor and quality of your smoke. That’s why it’s important to clean your bong regularly and keep it fresh and sparkling.
One of the easiest and cheapest ways to clean a bong is using alcohol and salt. Alcohol is a powerful solvent that can dissolve the sticky resin and kill the germs in your bong. Salt acts as an abrasive that can scrub away the stubborn stains and residue. Together, they can make your bong look and smell like new.
Here’s how to clean a bong with alcohol and salt in a few simple steps:
- Remove the bowl, stem, and any other detachable parts from your bong. Rinse them with hot water to get rid of any loose debris.
- Place the bowl, stem, and other parts in a resealable plastic bag. Add some coarse salt, such as sea salt or rock salt, to the bag. Pour enough 91% or 99% isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) to cover the parts completely. Seal the bag and shake it vigorously for a few minutes. You should see the alcohol turn brown as it dissolves the resin.
- Fill your bong with hot water and dump it out. Then, add some coarse salt to the bong and pour enough alcohol to fill it halfway. Cover the mouthpiece and the downstem hole with rubber stoppers or bong plugs. Shake the bong well for a few minutes, making sure the alcohol-salt mixture reaches every corner of the bong.
- Rinse the bowl, stem, and other parts with hot water and soap. Use a pipe cleaner or a cotton swab to remove any remaining resin or salt. Rinse the bong with hot water and soap as well, making sure to flush out all the alcohol and salt. You can also use a bottle brush or a sponge to clean the inside of the bong.
- Dry your bong and its parts with a towel or let them air dry. Reassemble your bong and enjoy a smooth and clean smoke.
Cleaning your bong with alcohol and salt is an effective and affordable method that can keep your bong in good shape. However, you should also be careful when handling alcohol, as it is flammable and toxic. Avoid smoking near alcohol or using it near open flames. Also, make sure to rinse your bong thoroughly after cleaning it with alcohol, as you don’t want to inhale any traces of it.
You should aim to clean your bong at least once a week, or more often if you use it frequently. You should also change the water in your bong every time you use it, as stale water can harbor harmful bacteria and fungi. By keeping your bong clean, you can ensure a safer and better smoking experience.