If you enjoy smoking herb or tobacco from a bong, you know how important it is to keep it clean and fresh. A dirty bong can ruin the taste of your smoke, harbor mold and bacteria, and even damage your lungs. Fortunately, cleaning a bong is not too difficult, and you can do it with some simple household items: hot water and salt.
In this blog post, we will show you how to clean a bong with hot water and salt in a few easy steps. You will also learn why this method works, how often you should clean your bong, and what to avoid when doing so. Let’s get started!
Why Hot Water and Salt?
Hot water and salt are a great combination for cleaning a bong because they work as a solvent and an abrasive, respectively. The hot water helps to loosen up the sticky resin that builds up on the glass over time, while the salt acts as a scrubber that removes the residue from the hard-to-reach areas. Together, they can dissolve and dislodge the gunk that makes your bong look and smell bad.
Some people also add rubbing alcohol, vinegar, or lemon juice to their cleaning solution, but these are not necessary if you use hot water and salt. However, if your bong is very dirty or stained, you may want to use one of these additives to boost the cleaning power of your solution. Just make sure to rinse your bong well after using them, as they can leave behind an unpleasant aftertaste.
How to Clean a Bong with Hot Water and Salt
Here are the steps to follow to clean your bong with hot water and salt:
- Empty the bong and rinse it out well with warm water. Pour out any old water and remove any spent herb or tobacco from the bowl and downstem.
- Take the bong apart so you can clean the pieces. Remove all of the parts you can, including the pipe and the mouthpiece. Check for any damage such as chips or cracks, and replace any broken pieces before using your bong again.
- Add coarse salt and hot water to your bong. Pour three or more tablespoons of salt into the bong via the mouthpiece. The coarser the salt, the better. Fill your bong with hot water until it is just beneath the shaft line.
- Plug the holes and shake it up. Use your hands, fingers, or thumbs to plug or block the open holes of the bong so that your solution doesn’t spill out. Shake it for about five minutes to get the best possible result.
- Rinse and repeat. Empty the cleaning solution into a sink and rinse it out completely with clean water. Repeat the cleaning process as many times as you need to, but once is usually enough.
- Clean the bowl and downstem. Place them in a sandwich bag with some salt and hot water (and optionally some rubbing alcohol). Shake the bag for a few minutes, then rinse them with clean water.
- Dry and reassemble your bong. Use a paper towel or a cloth to dry your bong and its parts. Put them back together carefully, making sure everything fits snugly. Enjoy your clean and fresh bong!
How Often Should You Clean Your Bong?
The frequency of cleaning your bong depends on how often you use it and how dirty it gets. However, as a general rule of thumb, you should clean your bong at least once a week to ensure you get the safest and best tasting smoke. You should also change the water in your bong after every smoke session to avoid inhaling mold and bacteria that can grow in stagnant water.
The color of your bong water is a good indicator of when to give it a deep clean. If it’s clear or slightly yellowish, you’re good to go. If it’s brownish-green or darker, it’s time to bust out the salt and hot water.
What to Avoid When Cleaning Your Bong
When cleaning your bong with hot water and salt, there are some things you should avoid doing:
- Don’t use too much dish soap or other cleaners that can leave behind a soapy residue or flavor.
- Don’t use boiling water or cold water that can crack or shatter your glass bong.
- Don’t use abrasive tools or materials that can scratch or damage your bong.
- Don’t forget to rinse your bong thoroughly with clean water after cleaning it.
- Don’t smoke from a wet or damp bong that can cause mold or mildew to grow.
Cleaning your bong with hot water and salt is a simple and effective way to keep it in good shape and enjoy your smoking sessions. By following the steps we outlined above, you can easily remove the resin, stains, and odors from your bong and make it look and smell like new. You will also protect your health and enhance the flavor of your herb or tobacco.
We hope this blog post has been helpful and informative. If you have any questions or comments, feel free to leave them below. Happy smoking!