If you are a fan of smoking herbs or tobacco with a bong, you might have wondered what kind of glass is used to make your favorite water pipe. Not all glass bongs are created equal, and some are more durable, heat-resistant and easy to clean than others. In this blog post, we will explain why borosilicate glass is the best material for bongs and how to tell if your glass bong is made of it or not.
What is borosilicate glass?
Borosilicate glass is a type of glass that contains boron trioxide, which makes it more resistant to thermal shock and chemical corrosion than ordinary glass. Borosilicate glass is also known as Pyrex, Duran or Simax, and it is commonly used for laboratory equipment, cookware, lighting and glass pipes.
Why is borosilicate glass best for bongs?
There are numerous good reasons to make bongs from borosilicate glass rather than the “regular” glass or soft glass. Most importantly, borosilicate glass bongs are stronger and more long-lasting than ordinary glass bongs. If you are using your bong a lot, it’s good to know that your bong can easily last for a lot of years.
Another advantage of borosilicate glass is that it has a high resistance to heat and temperature changes. This means that you can use hot water, ice cubes or torch lighters without worrying about cracking or breaking your bong. Borosilicate glass also has a low coefficient of expansion, which means that it does not expand or contract much when heated or cooled.
One more advantage of borosilicate glass is that it has a high resistance to corrosion; which makes sure that your bong remains crystal and clear, shining like new. Borosilicate glass is easier to clean than soft glass bongs thanks to their smoother, unpenetrable surface. This also makes it very unlikely for the glass to chip.
How to tell if your glass bong is made of borosilicate glass or cheap glass?
Unfortunately, not all bong sellers are honest about the quality of their products, and some might try to sell you cheap glass bongs as if they were made of borosilicate glass. Here are some tips on how to spot the difference:
- Price: Borosilicate glass is more expensive than ordinary glass, so if you see a very cheap bong that claims to be made of borosilicate glass, be suspicious. A good quality borosilicate glass bong will usually cost between $50 and $200, depending on the size, design and brand.
- Weight: Borosilicate glass is denser than ordinary glass, so it will feel heavier in your hand. A cheap glass bong will feel lighter and more fragile.
- Thickness: Borosilicate glass is thicker than ordinary glass, so it will have a more solid and sturdy appearance. A cheap glass bong will look thinner and more transparent.
- Sound: Borosilicate glass makes a higher-pitched sound when tapped than ordinary glass. A cheap glass bong will make a lower-pitched sound or no sound at all.
- Brand: Some reputable brands that make high-quality borosilicate glass bongs are GRAV, Smoke Cartel, ROOR and Illadelph. If you see a brand name on your bong, do some research online to see if they are trustworthy and reliable.
Borosilicate glass is the best material for bongs because it is strong, heat-resistant, corrosion-resistant and easy to clean. To tell if your glass bong is made of borosilicate glass or cheap glass, you can check the price, weight, thickness, sound and brand of your bong. If you want to buy a new borosilicate glass bong, you can browse our selection of bongs for sale at Smoke Cartel.
: Bongs for Sale | Find Your Perfect Bong / Water Pipe – Smoke Cartel
: GRAV® – Premium Pipes & Bongs
: Why Is Borosilicate Glass Best For Bongs? – Smoke Cartel
: ROOR – The Original Glass Bong Brand
: Illadelph Glass – High End Glass Bongs and Accessories