A bong is a water-filtration device that is used to smoke herb or tobacco. It consists of a bowl, a stem, a chamber, and a mouthpiece. The water in the bong helps to cool and filter the smoke, making it smoother and more enjoyable. But how much water do you need to put in a bong? And what are the benefits and drawbacks of using a bong? In this blog post, we will answer these questions and more.
How to Fill a Bong with Water
Filling a bong with water is not complicated, but there are some things you need to consider. Here are the steps to follow:
- Remove the bowl and the stem from the bong. You don’t want to get them wet or damage them.
- Pour water into the mouthpiece until the waterline is above the base of the stem but below the bowl. You can also put ice cubes in the water if you want to make the smoke even cooler.
- Put the stem and the bowl back into the bong. Make sure they fit snugly and securely.
- Test the water level by inhaling through the mouthpiece. You should hear a bubbling sound and feel some resistance. If the water is too high, it might splash into your mouth or make it harder to inhale. If the water is too low, it might not filter the smoke properly or make it harsher.
- Adjust the water level as needed by adding or removing water until you find your preferred level.
The ideal water level for a bong depends on your personal preference and the size and shape of your bong. Generally, you want to have enough water to cover the holes in the stem, but not so much that it reaches the bowl or interferes with your inhalation. A good rule of thumb is to have the water between 1″ and 1/2″ above the end of the stem.
How to Use a Bong
Once you have filled your bong with water, you are ready to use it. Here are the steps to follow:
- Grind your herb or tobacco and fill the bowl with it. Don’t pack it too tightly or too loosely, as this might affect the airflow and combustion.
- Place your mouth inside the mouthpiece, creating a tight seal with your lips. Don’t put your lips over the mouthpiece, as this might create gaps for air to escape.
- Hold a lighter or a hemp wick over the bowl and inhale strongly and steadily through the mouthpiece. This will draw the flame into the bowl and ignite your herb or tobacco.
- As you inhale, you will see the chamber filling up with smoke. When it reaches your desired amount, pull out the bowl or take your finger off the carb (if your bong has one) and inhale forcefully, clearing the smoke from the chamber into your lungs.
- Exhale and enjoy. If you want to take another hit, repeat steps 3-4.
Why Use a Bong?
Using a bong has some advantages and disadvantages compared to other smoking methods. Here are some of them:
- A bong can produce large hits of thick smoke that can make it more potent and satisfying than other methods.
- A bong can filter out some of the tar, ash, and other harmful substances from the smoke, making it cleaner and healthier than smoking without water.
- A bong can cool down the temperature of the smoke, making it less irritating and more comfortable for your throat and lungs.
- A bong can enhance the flavor and aroma of your herb or tobacco, as well as reduce some of the unpleasant odors.