If you enjoy smoking herb or tobacco from a bong, you know how important it is to keep it clean and fresh. A dirty bong can ruin the taste of your smoke, harbor harmful bacteria and fungi, and damage your health. Fortunately, there are some easy and effective ways to clean your bong using common household items. In this blog post, we will show you how to clean a bong in a few simple steps.
Why You Need to Clean Your Bong Regularly
One of the benefits of using a bong is that it filters out some of the harmful substances from the smoke, such as tar and ash. However, this also means that these substances accumulate in the bong over time, forming a sticky resin that coats the inside of the glass and the accessories. This resin not only looks and smells bad, but it also reduces the efficiency of the filtration system and makes your smoke harsher and less flavorful.
Another reason to clean your bong regularly is to prevent the growth of mold and bacteria in the water. Stagnant water is a breeding ground for microorganisms that can cause infections and illnesses when inhaled. Some of these microorganisms can form a biofilm on the surface of the water, which is a slimy layer that protects them from disinfectants. You do not want to inhale or ingest any of these substances, as they can have serious consequences for your health.
Therefore, it is recommended that you change the water in your bong after every use, and deep clean your bong at least once a week. This will ensure that you get the best possible smoking experience from your bong, as well as protect your health and hygiene.
What You Need to Clean Your Bong
To clean your bong properly, you will need the following items:
- A sink or basin
- Coarse salt, such as sea salt, rock salt, or Epsom salt
- Isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol), preferably 91% or 99%
- Two large zipper storage bags
- Rubber stoppers or bong plugs
- A towel
- A small brush or pipe cleaner (optional)
How to Clean Your Bong Step by Step
Now that you have everything you need, follow these steps to clean your bong:
- Disassemble your bong. Take apart your bong and remove all the removable pieces, such as the bowl, the downstem, and the mouthpiece. Check for any damage or cracks on the glass and replace any broken parts before using your bong again.
- Rinse your bong with warm water. Pour out any old water from your bong and rinse it well with warm water to remove any loose debris and particles. Fill up your bong with some warm water and set it aside.
- Clean the accessories with alcohol and salt. Put each accessory (bowl, downstem, mouthpiece) in a separate zipper bag and add some coarse salt and isopropyl alcohol to each bag. Seal the bags tightly and shake them vigorously for about five minutes. The salt will act as an abrasive and the alcohol will dissolve the resin buildup. You can also use a small brush or pipe cleaner to scrub away any stubborn spots.
- Clean the bong with alcohol and salt. Pour out the water from your bong and add some coarse salt and isopropyl alcohol to it. Plug or cover the openings of the bong with rubber stoppers or bong plugs. Shake your bong for about five minutes or until you see the resin coming off. You can also let it soak for longer if it is very dirty.
- Rinse everything with warm water. Empty the alcohol and salt solution from your bong and rinse it thoroughly with warm water. Do the same for the accessories in the zipper bags. Make sure there is no residue left inside or outside of your bong.
- Dry everything with a towel. Use a clean towel to dry your bong and accessories completely. You can also let them air dry on a rack or a paper towel.
- Reassemble your bong. Put back all the pieces of your bong and make sure they fit snugly and securely. Fill your bong with fresh water and enjoy your clean and smooth smoke.
Cleaning your bong is not a difficult or time-consuming task, but it is essential for your smoking pleasure and health. By following the steps above, you can easily clean your bong with some salt and alcohol, and keep it in good condition for a long time. Remember to change the water in your bong after every use, and deep clean your bong at least once a week. This way, you can enjoy the full flavor and benefits of your herb or tobacco, without any unwanted contaminants or toxins.