A glass bong is a device that allows you to smoke herb or tobacco through water filtration, which cools and smooths the smoke and reduces some of the harmful substances. Glass bongs are popular among smokers because they are durable, easy to clean, and come in various shapes and sizes. However, glass bongs can also be expensive and hard to find, especially if you live in an area where they are illegal or frowned upon. Fortunately, you can make your own glass bong at home using some cheap, basic supplies and a little bit of creativity. In this blog post, we will show you how to make a glass bong in 8 simple steps, what materials and tools you will need, and some tips and warnings to keep in mind.
Materials and tools
To make a glass bong at home, you will need the following materials and tools:
- A piece of glass tubing. This will be the main body of your bong. You can find glass tubing online or at a local hardware store. The length and diameter of the tubing will depend on how big you want your bong to be, but a good rule of thumb is to choose a tubing that is about 12 inches long and 1 inch wide.
- A glass bottle. This will be the base of your bong. You can use any kind of glass bottle that has a wide mouth and a flat bottom, such as a wine bottle, a liquor bottle, or a soda bottle. Make sure the bottle is clean and dry before using it.
- A propane torch. This will be used to heat and shape the glass tubing. You can buy a propane torch online or at a local hardware store. Make sure you have enough propane gas to complete the project.
- A working surface. This will be where you will cut, heat, and bend the glass tubing. You can use any flat, sturdy, and heat-resistant surface, such as a metal table, a wooden board, or a ceramic tile. Make sure you have enough space to work safely and comfortably.
- A pair of pliers. This will be used to hold and manipulate the glass tubing while heating it. You can use any kind of pliers that have rubber or plastic handles to protect your hands from the heat.
- A drill. This will be used to make holes in the glass bottle and the glass tubing. You can use any kind of drill that has a variable speed setting and a 3/4 inch diamond drill bit. The diamond drill bit is specially designed to cut through glass without cracking or shattering it.
- A rubber grommet. This will be used to seal the hole where the glass tubing meets the glass bottle. You can find rubber grommets online or at a local hardware store. You will need a rubber grommet that has an outside diameter of 31/32 inch, an inner diameter of 1/2 inch, and a 3/4 inch groove.
- A downstem and bowl. These will be used to hold and burn your herb or tobacco in your bong. You can buy a downstem and bowl online or at a local head shop. You will need a 14mm glass downstem and bowl that fit snugly into each other.
- Some water. This will be used to fill the base of your bong and create the water filtration system.
Once you have gathered all the materials and tools, you can follow these steps to make your glass bong:
- Cut the glass tubing to the desired length. Use a marker to mark where you want to cut the tubing, then use the pliers to hold the tubing firmly over your working surface. Use the propane torch to heat the marked area until it glows red, then gently pull the tubing apart with your hands or another pair of pliers. Be careful not to burn yourself or break the tubing.
- Heat one end of the glass tubing with the propane torch until it becomes soft and pliable. Then use your hands or another pair of pliers to bend it into an L-shape. This will be the mouthpiece of your bong.
- Drill a hole in the side of the glass bottle near the bottom using the drill and the diamond drill bit. Make sure the hole is large enough for the glass tubing to fit through but not too large that it creates gaps or leaks.
- Insert one end of the glass tubing through the hole in the bottle until it reaches the opposite side of the base. The L-shaped end of the tubing should be sticking out of the bottle at an angle. This will be the stem of your bong.
- Place the rubber grommet over the hole where the glass tubing meets the bottle and push it down until it creates a tight seal. This will prevent water from leaking out of your bong.
- Drill another hole in the glass tubing near the bend using the drill and the diamond drill bit. This will be the carb of your bong, which allows you to control the airflow and clear the smoke from the chamber.
- Insert the downstem and bowl into the end of the glass tubing that is inside the bottle. Make sure they fit securely and are aligned with the carb.
- Fill the bottle with water until it covers about an inch of the downstem. This will create the water filtration system for your bong.
Tips and warnings
Here are some tips and warnings to keep in mind when making and using your glass bong:
- Always wear safety goggles, gloves, and long sleeves when working with glass and heat. Glass can be sharp, hot, and unpredictable, so you want to protect yourself from cuts, burns, and shards.
- Always work in a well-ventilated area when using a propane torch. Propane gas can be flammable, toxic, and explosive, so you want to avoid inhaling it or creating sparks or flames.
- Always check for cracks, leaks, or defects in your glass bong before using it. If you notice any damage, do not use your bong as it may cause injury or malfunction.
- Always clean your glass bong regularly to prevent buildup of resin, bacteria, or mold. You can use rubbing alcohol, salt, and hot water to rinse and scrub your bong until it is shiny and clear.
- Always use your glass bong responsibly and legally. Do not use your bong to smoke illegal or harmful substances, do not share your bong with others without sanitizing it first, and do not drive or operate machinery while under the influence of your bong.
Making a glass bong at home is a fun and rewarding project that can save you money and give you a unique smoking experience. By following these 8 simple steps and using some basic materials and tools, you can create your own glass bong that works as well as a store-bought one. Just remember to be safe, careful, and respectful when making and using your glass bong, and enjoy!