If you enjoy smoking herb or tobacco from a bong, you know how important it is to keep it clean and fresh. A dirty bong can ruin the taste of your smoke, harbor mold and bacteria, and damage your health. Fortunately, cleaning a bong is not a difficult task, and you can do it with some simple household items: hot water and salt.
In this blog post, we will show you how to clean a bong with hot water and salt in a few easy steps. You will also learn why you should clean your bong regularly, how often you should do it, and what other methods and products you can use to keep your bong sparkling.
Why You Should Clean Your Bong Regularly
There are many reasons why you should clean your bong regularly, but here are some of the most important ones:
- Better taste: When you smoke from a bong, the resin from the herb or tobacco accumulates on the walls and in the water. This creates a sticky and smelly residue that can affect the flavor of your smoke. By cleaning your bong, you can remove the resin and enjoy the true taste of your herb or tobacco.
- Better health: A dirty bong can also pose a health risk, as mold and bacteria can grow in the water and the resin. If you inhale these microorganisms, you can get lung infections, pneumonia, or other respiratory problems. By cleaning your bong, you can prevent the growth of mold and bacteria and protect your lungs.
- Better appearance: A dirty bong can also look unappealing and unhygienic. It can have stains, discoloration, or even cracks from the resin buildup. By cleaning your bong, you can restore its original shine and beauty and impress your friends with your smoking etiquette.
- Better performance: A dirty bong can also affect the performance of your smoking device. It can clog the downstem, the bowl, or the mouthpiece, making it harder to draw smoke. It can also reduce the airflow and the filtration of the smoke, making it harsher on your throat. By cleaning your bong, you can ensure that it works smoothly and efficiently.
How Often You Should Clean Your Bong
The frequency of cleaning your bong depends on how often you use it and how dirty it gets. However, as a general rule of thumb, you should clean your bong at least once a week to keep it in good condition. You should also change the water in your bong after every smoke session to avoid inhaling mold and bacteria.
The color of your bong water is a good indicator of when to clean your bong. If it is clear or slightly tinted, you are good to go. If it is brownish-green or dark, it is time to give it a deep clean.
How to Clean a Bong with Hot Water and Salt
Cleaning a bong with hot water and salt is one of the easiest and cheapest ways to get rid of the resin and grime from your bong. Salt acts as an abrasive that scrubs away the resin, while hot water dissolves and flushes out the dirt. Here are the steps to follow:
- Gather supplies: To clean your bong with hot water and salt, you will need: a sink or basin; coarse salt (such as table salt, Epsom salt, rock salt, or Himalayan salt); hot water; latex gloves; and paper towels or cotton swabs.
- Empty the bong: Put on your latex gloves and empty out your bong as well as you can. Pour out the old bong water and remove any spent herb or tobacco from the bowl. Then give it a good rinse with hot water to remove any remaining solid particles.
- Disassemble your bong: Take apart your bong so that you can clean each piece separately. Remove all movable parts, such as the downstem, the bowl, and the mouthpiece. As you take your bong apart, check for any damage such as chips or cracks. You will need to replace any damaged pieces before using your bong again.
- Clean the small pieces: To clean the small pieces of your bong, such as the downstem and the bowl, place them in a sandwich bag or a small container. Add some coarse salt and enough hot water to submerge them. Close the bag or the container and shake it vigorously for a few minutes. Then rinse the pieces with hot water and dry them with paper towels or cotton swabs.
- Clean the base: To clean the base of your bong, add some coarse salt and enough hot water to fill it halfway. Use your hands, fingers, and thumbs to plug or block the open holes of the bong so that the salt and water don’t spill out. Shake it vigorously for a few minutes, making sure that the salt and water reach all the corners and curves of the bong. Then empty the salt and water mixture into a sink and rinse the base with hot water.
- Repeat if necessary: If your bong is still dirty after the first round of cleaning, you can repeat the process as many times as you need to. You can also use a pipe cleaner, a bottle brush, or a cotton swab to scrub any stubborn spots or stains.
- Dry and reassemble your bong: Once your bong is clean and shiny, you can dry it with paper towels or let it air dry. Then reassemble your bong and enjoy a fresh and smooth smoke.
Other Methods and Products to Clean Your Bong
Hot water and salt are not the only things you can use to clean your bong. There are other methods and products that can also do the job, such as:
- Isopropyl alcohol: Isopropyl alcohol, also known as rubbing alcohol, is a powerful solvent that can dissolve resin and grime from your bong. You can use it instead of or in addition to hot water, following the same steps as above. The higher the percentage of alcohol, the better. Ideally, you would use one over 90%.
- Vinegar: Vinegar is another natural solvent that can help you clean your bong. You can use it instead of or in addition to hot water, following the same steps as above. Vinegar also has antibacterial properties that can kill any germs in your bong.
- Lemon juice: Lemon juice is another natural solvent that can help you clean your bong. You can use it instead of or in addition to hot water, following the same steps as above. Lemon juice also has a pleasant citrus scent that can mask any unpleasant odors from your bong.
- Dish soap: Dish soap is another common household item that can help you clean your bong. You can use it instead of or in addition to hot water, following the same steps as above. Dish soap can also help remove any grease or oil from your bong.
- Baking soda: Baking soda is another natural abrasive that can help you scrub away resin and grime from your bong. You can use it instead of or in addition to salt, following the same steps as above. Baking soda also has deodorizing properties that can freshen up your bong.
- Rice: Rice is another natural abrasive that can help you scrub away resin and grime from your bong. You can use it instead of or in addition to salt, following the same steps as above. Rice also has absorbing properties that can soak up any dirt or moisture from your bong.
- Glass cleaners: Glass cleaners are products designed specifically for cleaning glass surfaces, such as windows or mirrors. You can also use them to clean your glass bong, following the instructions on the label. Some examples of glass cleaners are Aqua Glass Works Cleaner or Wellcann Glass Cleaner.
- Bong cleaners: Bong cleaners are products designed specifically for cleaning bongs and other smoking devices. They usually contain solvents and abrasives that can dissolve and remove resin and grime from your bong. You can follow the instructions on the label or use them in combination with hot water and salt. Some examples of bong cleaners are Pink Formula or Formula 420.
Cleaning a bong with hot water and salt is a simple and effective way to keep your smoking device in good shape. By doing so regularly, you can improve the taste, health, appearance, and performance of your bong. You can also try other methods and products to clean your bong, depending on your preference and availability.
We hope this blog post has been helpful and informative for you. If you have any questions or comments, feel free to leave them below. Happy smoking!