If you are looking for a way to enjoy your favorite herb or tobacco without spending a lot of money on a store-bought bong, you might want to try making your own at home. All you need is a glass bottle, a piece of glass tubing, a propane torch, and some basic tools. In this blog post, we will show you how to make a homemade glass bong in 8 simple steps.
Step 1: Gather Your Materials
To make a glass bong, you will need the following materials:
- A glass bottle. You can use any kind of glass bottle, but it is better to choose one with a long neck and a wide base. This will make it easier to drill a hole and insert the stem. You can also use a plastic bottle, but glass is more durable and gives a smoother hit.
- A piece of glass tubing. This will be the stem of your bong. You can buy glass tubing online or at a local head shop. You will need to cut it to the desired length, depending on the size of your bottle and how long you want your stem to be.
- A propane torch. This is used to heat the end of the glass tubing and bend it into shape. You can also use a lighter, but a torch is more effective and safer.
- A working surface. You will need a flat and stable surface to work on, such as a table or a countertop. Make sure it is heat-resistant and well-ventilated.
- A grommet or a cork. This is used to seal the hole in the bottle and hold the stem in place. You can buy a rubber grommet at a hardware store or online. It should have an outside diameter of 31/32″, an inner diameter of 1/2″, and a 3/4″ groove. Alternatively, you can use a cork that fits snugly into the hole.
- A bowl. This is where you will put your herb or tobacco. You can use any kind of bowl that fits on the end of your stem, such as a metal or glass bowl. You can also make your own bowl out of aluminum foil or an empty highlighter.
- A drill and a diamond drill bit. You will need these to make a hole in the bottle for the stem. The drill bit should be 3/4″ in diameter and designed for drilling through glass.
- Safety goggles and gloves. These are optional but recommended to protect your eyes and hands from flying glass shards and hot metal.
Step 2: Clean the Bottle
Before you start drilling, you need to clean the bottle thoroughly. Empty the bottle and wash it out with warm water and soap. Remove any labels or stickers that might interfere with the drilling process. Dry the bottle completely with a towel or let it air dry.
Step 3: Mark and Drill the Hole
Next, you need to mark and drill the hole for the stem in the bottle. Find a spot on the bottle where the surface is relatively flat, somewhere on the upper curve of the body. Place the grommet or cork there and use it to trace a circle with a marker. This will be your guide for drilling.
Attach the diamond drill bit to your drill and set it to 3/4 of its maximum speed. Hold the bottle under running water in the sink to keep it cool and prevent it from cracking. Gently press the drill bit against the marked spot and start drilling slowly. Do not apply too much pressure or force as this might break the glass. Keep drilling until you have made a clean hole through the bottle.
Step 4: Insert the Grommet or Cork
Once you have drilled the hole, you need to insert the grommet or cork into it. This will seal the hole and prevent water from leaking out of your bong. Push the grommet or cork into the hole until it fits snugly and securely.
Step 5: Cut and Bend the Glass Tubing
Now you need to cut and bend the glass tubing to make your stem. Measure the distance from the upper curve of the body of your bottle to the opposite side of the base. Cut your glass tubing to approximately that length, or slightly shorter if you want your stem to be angled upward.
To bend your glass tubing, you need to heat the end of it with the propane torch. Hold the torch about an inch away from the tubing and move it back and forth until the glass becomes soft and pliable. Then, use a pair of pliers or your gloved hands to bend the tubing into a 90-degree angle. Be careful not to burn yourself or break the glass.
Step 6: Add the Bowl
Next, you need to add the bowl to the end of your stem. If you have a ready-made bowl, simply attach it to the stem with a rubber band or some tape. If you want to make your own bowl, you can use an empty highlighter or some aluminum foil.
To make a bowl out of a highlighter, you need to empty the contents of the highlighter and remove the tip and the cap. You should be left with a hollow plastic tube. Then, wrap a small piece of aluminum foil around the wide end of the tube and press it down into the tube to form a bowl. Poke some tiny holes in the foil with a needle or a pin to allow air flow.
To make a bowl out of aluminum foil, you need to tear off a small piece of foil and shape it into a cone. Then, poke some tiny holes in the bottom of the cone with a needle or a pin. Insert the cone into the end of your stem and secure it with a rubber band or some tape.
Step 7: Fill the Bottle with Water
Now you are ready to fill your bottle with water. Pour some water into the bottle through the neck until it covers about an inch of your stem. Do not fill it too much or you might get water in your mouth when you smoke. You can also add some ice cubes to the water if you want to cool down your smoke.
Step 8: Test Your Bong
Congratulations, you have made your own homemade glass bong! To test it, pack some herb or tobacco into your bowl and light it with a lighter. Cover the hole on the side of the bottle with your finger and inhale through the mouthpiece. When you are ready to take a hit, release your finger and inhale the smoke from the bottle.
Enjoy your homemade glass bong and remember to clean it regularly to keep it in good condition.