If you enjoy smoking herb or tobacco from a bong, you know how important it is to keep it clean and fresh. A dirty bong can ruin the taste of your smoke, harbor bacteria and mold, and look unsightly. Fortunately, you don’t need to buy expensive or harsh chemicals to clean your bong. You can use a simple and natural ingredient that you probably have in your kitchen: baking soda.
Baking soda is a great cleaner for bongs because it is abrasive, alkaline, and deodorizing. It can help scrub away the sticky resin and tar that build up in your bong over time, neutralize any odors, and leave your bong sparkling and smooth. In this blog post, we will show you how to clean a bong with baking soda in four easy steps.
Step 1: Gather Your Supplies
To clean a bong with baking soda, you will need the following supplies:
- Your bong
- A sink or basin
- Warm water
- Baking soda
- Vinegar (optional)
- A large pot (optional)
- A cleaning brush or pipe cleaner
- Latex gloves (optional)
You will also need to disassemble your bong by removing the bowl and the downstem. These are the parts that get the dirtiest, so you will need to clean them separately. You can place them in a ziplock bag or a small container for later.
Step 2: Pre-Rinse Your Bong
Before you start cleaning your bong with baking soda, you should give it a good rinse with warm water. This will help loosen some of the debris and make the cleaning process easier. Pour out any old water from your bong and remove any leftover herb or tobacco from the bowl. Then fill your bong with warm water and shake it gently. Pour out the water and repeat until the water runs clear.
Step 3: Add Baking Soda and Vinegar
Now it’s time to add the baking soda and vinegar to your bong. These two ingredients will react with each other and create bubbles that will lift and dissolve the resin and tar from your bong. There are two ways you can do this:
- Method 1: Pour half a cup of baking soda into the chamber of your bong and fill it with vinegar. It will bubble up and loosen the resin. Leave it for five minutes and then rinse with warm water.
- Method 2: Put your bong in a large pot and pour one cup of baking soda into the neck. Shake it around and then pour two cups of vinegar into the neck. Swish it around and then rinse with warm water.
You can also use either method to clean your bowl and downstem by adding baking soda and vinegar to the ziplock bag or container where you placed them.
Step 4: Scrub and Rinse
The final step is to scrub any remaining residue from your bong with a cleaning brush or pipe cleaner. You can also use some more baking soda as a scouring agent if needed. Pay attention to the hard-to-reach areas like the corners, curves, and holes of your bong. Once you are done scrubbing, rinse your bong thoroughly with warm water until there is no trace of baking soda or vinegar left.
Congratulations! You have successfully cleaned your bong with baking soda. You can now enjoy a fresh and smooth smoke from your sparkling bong.
Tips and Warnings
- You should clean your bong regularly to prevent resin and tar from accumulating and affecting the quality of your smoke. A good rule of thumb is to clean your bong once every one to two weeks, depending on how often you use it.
- You should also change your bong water after each session to avoid stale or contaminated water that can harbor bacteria, mold, or parasites.
- If you use lemon juice instead of vinegar, you can add a pleasant citrus scent to your bong while cleaning it.
- If you have a glass bong, be careful not to expose it to sudden temperature changes that can cause it to crack or shatter. For example, do not pour boiling water into a cold bong or vice versa.
- If you have a ceramic or silicone bong, you may not be able to see the resin and tar build-up as easily as with a glass bong. Therefore, you should establish a regular cleaning routine and not wait until you notice it needs a cleaning.
- Do not use bleach, ammonia, or other harsh chemicals to clean your bong. They can damage your bong, leave harmful residues, and produce toxic fumes.
We hope this blog post has helped you learn how to clean a bong with baking soda. Baking soda is a cheap, natural, and effective way to keep your bong in good shape and your smoke in good taste. Happy smoking!