If you enjoy smoking herb or tobacco from a glass bong, you know how important it is to keep it clean and fresh. A dirty bong can ruin your smoking experience, making it harsh, unpleasant, and unhealthy. Not to mention, it can also damage your glass piece and make it look unsightly.
Fortunately, cleaning a glass bong is not a difficult task. You don’t need any fancy or expensive products to do it. All you need are some simple household items and a little bit of time and effort. In this blog post, we will show you how to clean a glass bong properly and safely, using different methods and ingredients. Follow these steps and you will have a sparkling and smooth bong in no time.
Why You Need to Clean Your Glass Bong
There are many reasons why you should clean your glass bong regularly. Here are some of the main ones:
- Better flavor. A clean bong will allow you to enjoy the true taste and aroma of your herb or tobacco, without any interference from tar, resin, or mold. A dirty bong will make your smoke taste bitter, stale, and nasty.
- Smoother hits. A clean bong will provide you with smooth and gentle hits, without any harshness or irritation. A dirty bong will make your smoke hot, dry, and harsh, causing you to cough and choke.
- Healthier lungs. A clean bong will filter out some of the toxins and contaminants from your smoke, reducing the risk of lung damage and infection. A dirty bong will expose you to more harmful substances, such as bacteria, mold, fungi, and carcinogens, which can cause respiratory problems and diseases.
- Prettier appearance. A clean bong will look shiny and attractive, enhancing your smoking experience and impressing your friends. A dirty bong will look dull and disgusting, ruining your mood and reputation.
How Often You Should Clean Your Glass Bong
The frequency of cleaning your glass bong depends on how often you use it and how dirty it gets. However, as a general rule of thumb, you should follow these guidelines:
- Change the water after every smoke session. This will prevent the water from becoming stagnant and breeding mold and bacteria. It will also keep the water clear and odorless.
- Deep clean your bong roughly once a week. This will remove the buildup of tar and resin that accumulates on the glass surface and inside the tubes. It will also restore the shine and smoothness of your bong.
How to Clean Your Glass Bong
To clean your glass bong properly and safely, you will need some basic supplies that you can find in your kitchen or bathroom. These include:
- Isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol). This is the most effective solvent for dissolving tar and resin from your glass bong. You can use either 70% or 90% isopropyl alcohol, but the higher the concentration, the better. You can find it in any pharmacy or supermarket.
- Coarse salt. This is the most effective abrasive for scrubbing away tar and resin from your glass bong. You can use any kind of salt, such as table salt or sea salt, but the coarser the grains, the better. You can find it in any grocery store or supermarket.
- Resealable plastic bags. These are useful for soaking the smaller parts of your glass bong, such as the bowl and the stem. You can use any size of plastic bags that can fit your pieces comfortably. You can find them in any grocery store or supermarket.
- Cotton swabs or pipe cleaners. These are useful for knocking off any large chunks of tar or resin that may be clogging up your glass bong. You can use any kind of cotton swabs or pipe cleaners that are soft and flexible enough to reach into the tubes. You can find them in any pharmacy or supermarket.
- Dish soap and warm water. These are useful for rinsing off any residue of alcohol or salt from your glass bong after cleaning it. You can use any kind of dish soap and warm water that are gentle and safe for your glass piece. You can find them in any kitchen or bathroom.
Once you have gathered all the supplies, you can follow these steps to clean your glass bong:
- Separate all the moving parts from the bong. This will make it easier and safer to clean each part individually. Separate the bong, the bowl, and the stem, and set them aside. You may want to wear latex gloves, as the smell of resin can be hard to remove from your hands.
- Rinse out the pieces in hot water. This will loosen up any of the bigger chunks of tar or resin that may be clogging up your bong. The hotter the water the better, so use tongs to grip the piece if you can’t securely hold the piece. Do not use hot water on a cold piece, as this can cause it to shatter. If your piece is cold, for whatever reason, start with lukewarm water and slowly raise the temperature.
- Knock off any big pieces of tar or resin with cotton swabs or pipe cleaners. If there are any large chunks of tar or resin that you can easily reach, simply knock them off with gentle scrubbing. If a chunk resists, that’s fine. You just want to get rid of the big, easily removed chunks now. For smaller pieces with tough, thick stains, like your bowl or stem, it can help to freeze the piece for 30 minutes. This loosens up chunks of resin and makes them easier to knock off. Be sure to dry the piece before freezing.
- Place the smaller parts in resealable plastic bags. Make sure that they can seal effectively. You’ll use the bag to contain your cleaning fluid while you soak the smaller pieces. Though you can do them at the same time, it is safest to put them each in separate bags.
- Fill your plastic bags with isopropyl alcohol and salt. Make sure the pieces are fully submerged in the fluid. Alcohol reacts with the tar and resin, making it easier to remove, while salt acts as a scrubber, dislodging any stubborn bits. Use enough alcohol and salt to cover the pieces completely, but not too much that it spills over when you shake it.
- Shake the bags vigorously for a minute or two. This will agitate the alcohol and salt mixture, creating a powerful cleaning solution that will penetrate into every crevice of your pieces. Shake the bags as hard as you can, but be careful not to break them or hurt yourself.
- Let the bags sit for some time. This will allow the alcohol and salt mixture to soak into your pieces and dissolve any remaining tar or resin. The longer you let them sit, the better. You can leave them for anywhere from 15 minutes to several hours, depending on how dirty your pieces are.
- Pour out the alcohol/salt mixture and rinse the pieces with warm water and dish soap. This will remove any residue of alcohol or salt from your pieces and make them smell fresh and clean. Use a gentle stream of warm water and a mild dish soap to wash off any traces of dirt or grime. You can also use a bottle brush or a pipe cleaner to scrub any hard-to-reach areas.
- Dry your pieces thoroughly with a soft cloth or paper towel. This will prevent any water spots or stains from forming on your glass bong. Use a soft cloth or paper towel to wipe off any excess moisture from your pieces. You can also let them air dry on a rack or a towel for an hour or so.
- Reassemble your glass bong and enjoy! This is the best part of cleaning your glass bong – enjoying a smooth and flavorful smoke from a sparkling and shiny piece. Reattach all the parts of your glass bong carefully and securely. Fill it with fresh water and pack a fresh bowl of herb or tobacco. Light it up and take a hit – you’ll notice the difference right away!
Alternative Methods to Clean Your Glass Bong
If you don’t have isopropyl alcohol or salt available, or if you prefer to use natural or organic products, there are some alternative methods to clean your glass bong without alcohol. Here are some of them:
- Lemon juice and boiling water. Lemon juice is a natural acid that can break down tar and resin, while boiling water can loosen up any dirt or grime. To use this method, boil some water and add some lemon juice to it. Pour it into your bong and let it