If you enjoy smoking herb or tobacco, you might want to try making your own glass bong at home. A glass bong is a device that filters the smoke through water, resulting in a smoother and cooler hit. Glass bongs are also more durable and easier to clean than plastic or metal ones. Plus, making your own glass bong can be a fun and creative project that will save you some money and impress your friends.
In this blog post, we will show you how to make a homemade glass bong with simple materials that you can find around your house or at a local store. You will need:
- A glass bottle with a long neck and a wide base. You can use any kind of glass bottle, such as a wine bottle, a beer bottle, or a soda bottle.
- A 3/4″ diamond drill bit. This is a special drill bit that can cut through glass without breaking it. You can order one online or find one at a hardware store.
- A downstem and a bowl. These are the parts that hold the herb or tobacco and connect to the bottle. You can use a glass downstem and bowl that you already have, or you can make your own with a highlighter and some aluminum foil.
- A rubber grommet. This is a small ring that seals the hole where the downstem goes through the bottle. You can find one at a supply store or online.
- A drill, a lighter, some water, and some herb or tobacco of your choice.
Once you have all the materials ready, follow these steps to make your homemade glass bong:
- Clean the bottle and remove any labels or stickers. Fill it up with water until it reaches about 1/4 of the way up the neck.
- Mark a spot on the bottle where you want to drill the hole for the downstem. It should be slightly above the waterline and on a flat surface of the bottle. Use the grommet as a guide and trace a circle around it with a sharpie.
- Prepare your drill and attach the diamond drill bit. Make sure to use a battery-powered drill, as you will be running water over the drilling area. Put on some safety goggles to protect your eyes from flying glass.
- Place the bottle in the sink and turn on the faucet. You want to have a steady stream of water running over the spot where you marked the hole. This will keep the glass cool and prevent it from cracking.
- Start drilling slowly and gently at an angle until you pierce through the glass. Then straighten the drill and continue drilling until you make a hole that fits the grommet snugly. Be patient and don’t apply too much pressure or speed, as this could break the glass or damage the drill bit.
- Insert the grommet into the hole and push it in until it sits flush with the bottle. Then insert the downstem through the grommet and angle it downward so that the end inside the bottle is submerged in the water. The bowl should be facing upward on the outside of the bottle.
- If you don’t have a glass downstem and bowl, you can make your own with a highlighter and some aluminum foil. To do this, empty the contents of a highlighter and remove any plastic parts until you have just the hollow tube. Then cut a piece of foil large enough to cover one end of the tube and press it down to form a bowl shape. Poke some small holes in the foil with a needle or pin to allow air flow. Insert this homemade downstem into the grommet as described above.
- Pack some herb or tobacco into the bowl and light it with a lighter. To use your homemade glass bong, cover the hole at the top of the bottle (the carb) with your finger and inhale from the mouthpiece (the neck of the bottle). When you’re ready to clear the smoke, release your finger from the carb and inhale quickly.
Congratulations! You have just made your own homemade glass bong with simple materials. Enjoy your smooth and cool hits and don’t forget to clean your bong regularly to keep it in good shape.