If you are a fan of smoking herbs or tobacco, you might have considered buying a glass bong to enhance your experience. Glass bongs are popular because they offer a smooth and cool smoke, a variety of designs and styles, and a sense of quality and durability. However, not all glass bongs are created equal. Some are made with high-quality glass and craftsmanship, while others are made with low-quality glass and poor workmanship. How can you tell the difference by just looking at them? Here are some tips to help you out.
Check the glass quality
One of the most important factors to consider when buying a glass bong is the quality of the glass material. Glass quality affects the clarity, strength, and heat resistance of the bong. The higher the quality of the glass, the more durable and pristine the bong will be.
The best glass for bongs is borosilicate glass, also known as German schott or schott duran. This is the same material used for making lab equipment, so you can trust its reliability and safety. Borosilicate glass is resistant to thermal shock, meaning it can withstand high temperatures without cracking or breaking. It also has a low coefficient of expansion, meaning it does not expand or contract much when heated or cooled. This prevents stress fractures and leaks in the bong.
On the other hand, low-quality glass for bongs is usually made in China with cheap materials and processes. This glass is more prone to breaking, shattering, or cracking when exposed to heat or pressure. It also has a high coefficient of expansion, meaning it can deform or warp when heated or cooled. This can affect the functionality and appearance of the bong.
How can you tell if a glass bong is made with borosilicate glass or low-quality glass? Here are some clues:
- Borosilicate glass is clear and transparent, while low-quality glass may have bubbles, impurities, or cloudiness.
- Borosilicate glass is thick and heavy, while low-quality glass may be thin and light.
- Borosilicate glass has smooth and even surfaces, while low-quality glass may have rough or uneven surfaces.
- Borosilicate glass has clean and precise joints, while low-quality glass may have sloppy or messy joints.
- Borosilicate glass has a diamond logo or a brand name on it, while low-quality glass may have no logo or a generic name on it.
Check the glass thickness
Another factor to consider when buying a glass bong is the thickness of the glass. Glass thickness affects the weight and durability of the bong. Thicker glass means a more sturdy and heavier bong, while thinner glass means a more fragile and lighter bong.
Glass thickness is measured in millimeters (mm), usually ranging from 3mm to 9mm. The thicker the glass, the more expensive the bong will be. However, thicker glass does not necessarily mean better quality. As mentioned above, the quality of the glass material is more important than the thickness of the glass.
How can you tell if a glass bong has a good thickness? Here are some guidelines:
- A good thickness for a small to medium-sized bong is 3mm to 5mm.
- A good thickness for a large-sized bong is 5mm to 9mm.
- A good thickness for a beaker-shaped bong is 5mm to 7mm.
- A good thickness for a straight-tube-shaped bong is 4mm to 6mm.
Check the brand name
A final factor to consider when buying a glass bong is the brand name of the manufacturer. Brand name indicates the reputation and credibility of the maker. A well-known brand name usually means high-quality products and customer service, while an unknown brand name may mean low-quality products and customer service.
Some of the best brand names for glass bongs are:
- Diamond Glass: Based in Southern California, Diamond Glass provides high-quality, precision-cut borosilicate glass with diamond clarity. They create exquisite water pipes and dab rigs with innovative designs and features.
- Maverick Glass: Based in Los Angeles, California, Maverick Glass has been making functional and beautiful glass bongs for over 18 years. They use 100% American glass and focus on impeccable functionality and performance.
- Bougie Glass: Based in North Carolina, Bougie Glass offers affordable and elegant glass bongs with various styles and shapes. They use thick borosilicate glass and have clean joint welds.
- Empire Glassworks: Based in Placentia, California, Empire Glassworks has decades of experience in creating hand-crafted glass art. They make colorful and detailed glass bongs with themes inspired by nature, pop culture, and fantasy.
Some of the worst brand names for glass bongs are:
- Generic or no-name brands: These are usually made in China with low-quality glass and poor workmanship. They have no logo or a generic name on them. They may look appealing at first glance, but they are likely to break or malfunction soon.
- Counterfeit or knock-off brands: These are also made in China with low-quality glass and poor workmanship. They have a fake logo or a name that resembles a well-known brand. They may try to fool you into thinking they are authentic, but they are not. They may have defects, flaws, or inconsistencies that reveal their true nature.
Glass bongs are great for smoking herbs or tobacco, but not all of them are of the same quality. To tell if a glass bong is high-quality or low-quality by looking at it, you need to check the glass quality, the glass thickness, and the brand name of the manufacturer. By doing so, you can avoid wasting your money on a bad bong and enjoy a satisfying smoking experience with a good bong.
- The 20 Best Bong Brands for 2023 – Badass Glass
- Glass Thickness And Quality | Smoke Cartel
- Best Glass Bongs | 2023 Guide | American Marijuana
- Bongs for Sale | Find Your Perfect Bong / Water Pipe – Smoke Cartel
- Glass Bongs – Headshop.com