If you are new to smoking herb or tobacco, you might be wondering how to use a glass bong. A glass bong is a water-filtration device that produces smooth, clean and potent smoke. In this blog post, we will explain what a glass bong is, how it works, and how to use it for the first time.
What is a glass bong?
A glass bong is a type of pipe that uses water to cool and filter the smoke from burning herb or tobacco. It usually consists of a bowl, where you pack your material, a stem or downstem, which connects the bowl to the water chamber, and a mouthpiece, where you inhale the smoke. Some bongs also have a carburetor or carb, which is a hole that allows you to clear the smoke from the chamber by releasing the air pressure.
Glass bongs come in various shapes and sizes, from simple and functional to artistic and elaborate. Some have additional features such as ice catches, percolators, diffusers or ash catchers, which enhance the cooling and filtration of the smoke. Glass bongs are popular because they are easy to clean, durable, transparent and aesthetically pleasing.
How does a glass bong work?
The physics behind a glass bong are fairly straightforward: when you light the herb or tobacco in the bowl, the smoke travels through the stem or downstem and bubbles up through the water in the chamber. As the smoke passes through the water, it cools down and loses some of its harshness and impurities, such as tar and ash. The water also humidifies the smoke, making it less dry and irritating for your throat and lungs.
According to some scientific studies, water filtration can reduce the amount of particulate matter and toxic substances in the smoke that passes through it . However, water filtration does not remove all of the harmful components of smoke, such as carbon monoxide, carcinogens or THC (the psychoactive compound in cannabis). Therefore, smoking from a glass bong is not necessarily safer than other methods of smoking.
How to use a glass bong for the first time?
If you want to try smoking from a glass bong for the first time, here are some step-by-step instructions:
- Prep your glass bong. Pour water into the mouthpiece until the waterline is above the base of the stem or downstem but below the bowl. You can also put ice cubes in the water if you want to make the smoke even cooler. Make sure your glass bong has a bowl and a stem or downstem that fit snugly together. If your glass bong has a carb, locate it and make sure you can cover it with your finger.
- Grind your herb or tobacco. Use a grinder or scissors to break up your material into small pieces. This will help it burn more evenly and produce more smoke.
- Pack your bowl. Fill the bowl with about half a gram of ground herb or tobacco. Don’t pack it too tightly or too loosely, as this will affect the airflow and combustion.
- Place your lips inside the mouthpiece. Create a tight seal with your mouth around the mouthpiece. Don’t put your lips over it or around it.
- Light your bowl. Use a lighter or hemp wick to ignite the herb or tobacco in the bowl. Hold the flame over the bowl and inhale slowly and steadily through your mouth. You should see the smoke start to fill up the chamber.
- Clear your glass bong. When the chamber is full of milky-white smoke, release the carb or pull out the stem or downstem and inhale sharply and deeply through your mouth. This will clear all of the smoke from the chamber into your lungs.
- Exhale and enjoy. Exhale the smoke slowly and smoothly through your mouth or nose. You may feel a rush of euphoria, relaxation or other effects depending on what you are smoking.</li