If you enjoy smoking herb or tobacco, you might have considered making your own glass bong at home. A glass bong is a device that filters and cools the smoke through water, making it smoother and less harsh on your lungs. Glass bongs are also more durable, easier to clean, and more aesthetically pleasing than plastic or metal ones. But how do you make a glass bong at home? What materials and tools do you need? And what are the steps involved? In this blog post, we will answer these questions and show you how to make a glass bong in 8 simple steps.
Materials and tools
To make a glass bong at home, you will need the following materials and tools:
- A piece of glass tubing, about 12 inches long and 1 inch in diameter. You can find this at craft stores, hardware stores, or online.
- A glass bottle, preferably with a long neck and a wide base. You can use any glass bottle, but wine bottles, liquor bottles, or soda bottles work well.
- A propane torch, or a butane torch if you have one. You can find this at hardware stores or online.
- A pair of pliers, or a metal clamp if you have one. You will use this to hold the glass tubing while heating it.
- A drill with a 3/4 inch diamond drill bit. You will use this to make a hole in the glass bottle for the downstem.
- A rubber grommet, with an outside diameter of 31/32 inch, an inner diameter of 1/2 inch, and a 3/4 inch groove. You can find this at hardware stores or online.
- A glass bowl and downstem, with a 14mm joint size. You can find this at local head shops or online.
- Some water to fill the bong.
Now that you have all the materials and tools ready, you can follow these steps to make your glass bong:
- Cut the glass tubing to the desired length. The length will depend on the size of the bong you want to create, but it should be long enough to reach from the bottom of the bottle to the top of the neck. You can use a glass cutter or a hacksaw to cut the tubing, but be careful not to crack or shatter it. Sand the edges of the tubing with sandpaper to smooth them out.
- Heat the end of the glass tubing with the propane torch. Hold the tubing with pliers or a clamp and apply the flame to the end until it glows red. Then, blow into the other end of the tubing to create a bubble-like shape. This will be the mouthpiece of your bong.
- Drill a hole in the glass bottle for the downstem. Find a spot on the bottle where the surface is relatively flat, somewhere on the upper curve of the body. Place the grommet there and use it to trace a circle with a marker. Then, attach the diamond drill bit to your drill and drill through the marked spot. To prevent the glass from breaking, run some water over the drilling area and start drilling slowly. Apply gentle pressure and don’t push too hard.
- Insert the grommet into the hole you drilled. The grommet will seal the hole and prevent any air leaks. Make sure it fits snugly and securely.
- Insert the downstem into the grommet. The downstem should be angled downward so that the end inside of the bottle is submerged in water. The bowl should be angled upward on the outside of the bottle.
- Add water to your bong. Fill up your bottle about 1/4 of the way with water, or enough to cover the end of the downstem. You don’t want too much water or it will splash into your mouth when you smoke.
- Test your bong. To test your bong, cover the hole on top of your mouthpiece with your finger and light up your bowl. Inhale through your mouthpiece and see if any smoke comes out. If not, check for any air leaks or clogs in your bong and fix them accordingly.
- Enjoy your homemade glass bong! You can now use your glass bong to smoke your favorite herb or tobacco. Remember to clean your bong regularly to keep it in good condition and prevent any mold or bacteria from growing.
Making a glass bong at home is not as hard as it may seem. With some basic materials and tools, you can create your own glass bong in 8 simple steps. A glass bong is a great way to enjoy your herb or tobacco, as it filters and cools the smoke through water, making it smoother and less harsh on your lungs. Glass bongs are also more durable, easier to clean, and more aesthetically pleasing than plastic or metal ones. So, why not give it a try and make your own glass bong at home? You might be surprised by how fun and rewarding it is!