A bong is a popular device for smoking herb or tobacco, using water to cool and filter the smoke. However, if you want to enjoy the best flavor and avoid any health risks, you need to keep your bong clean and fresh. In this blog post, we will explain why and how often you should clean your bong, and what are the best ways to do it.
Why you should clean your bong
There are several reasons why you should clean your bong regularly, such as:
- Preventing bacteria and mold growth: Stagnant bong water can become a breeding ground for harmful microorganisms, such as bacteria, fungi, yeasts, and molds. These can cause infections, allergies, and respiratory problems if you inhale them. You can tell if your bong water is contaminated by the presence of a slimy layer on the surface, known as biofilm. This can harbor pathogens like E. coli, Strep, and black mildew. You should never drink or reuse bong water, as it can be toxic.
- Improving taste and smell: Dirty bong water can also affect the flavor and aroma of your smoke, making it harsher and less pleasant. The water can absorb some of the terpenes and cannabinoids from the herb or tobacco, reducing their potency and quality. Moreover, the water can also trap ash, tar, resin, and other impurities that can spoil your smoking experience.
- Enhancing filtration and cooling: One of the benefits of using a bong is that it filters out some of the harmful substances from the smoke, such as carcinogens and toxins. However, this function can be impaired if the water is dirty or stale. The same goes for the cooling effect of the water, which can make the smoke smoother and less irritating for your throat and lungs.
- Extending the lifespan of your bong: Cleaning your bong regularly can also help you maintain its appearance and functionality. If you let dirt and resin build up in your bong, it can cause clogs, cracks, leaks, or damage to the glass or other materials. By keeping your bong clean, you can prevent these issues and enjoy your bong for longer.
How often should you clean your bong
The frequency of cleaning your bong depends on how often you use it and how dirty it gets. However, as a general rule of thumb, you should follow these guidelines:
- Change the water after every session: The easiest way to keep your bong clean is to change the water after every use. This will prevent the water from becoming stagnant and contaminated with bacteria or mold. It will also preserve the flavor and quality of your smoke.
- Clean the bowl and stem after every few sessions: The bowl and stem are the parts of the bong that get in direct contact with the herb or tobacco. They tend to accumulate ash, tar, resin, and other residues that can clog them or affect their performance. You should clean them after every few sessions by soaking them in alcohol or vinegar and scrubbing them with a pipe cleaner or a brush.
- Clean the whole bong at least once a week: Even if you change the water regularly and clean the bowl and stem frequently, you should still give your whole bong a thorough cleaning at least once a week. This will remove any stubborn dirt or stains that may have formed in hard-to-reach areas or complex features of your bong.
How to clean your bong
The best way to clean your bong is to use a combination of coarse salt and rubbing alcohol. These ingredients work together to dissolve and scrub away any resin or impurities from your bong. Here are the steps to follow:
- Gather supplies: You will need coarse salt (such as Epsom or rock salt), rubbing alcohol (preferably 91% or 99%), two large zipper storage bags, rubber stoppers or bong plugs, a towel, warm water, dish soap, and latex gloves.
- Empty and rinse your bong: While wearing gloves, empty out any old water from your bong and remove any spent herb or tobacco from the bowl. Rinse your bong with warm water to get rid of any loose particles. Fill the bong partway with warm water and set it aside.
- Disassemble your bong: Take apart your bong and separate the removable pieces, such as the bowl and stem. Check for any damage or cracks and replace any broken parts before using your bong again.
- Add salt and alcohol to your bong: Pour some salt into the base of your bong, enough to cover the bottom. Then add enough alcohol to fill about half of the bong. You can also use vinegar instead of alcohol, or baking soda instead of salt. Alternatively, you can use a commercial cleaning solution made for bongs, such as Formula 420.
- Plug the holes and shake it up: Use rubber stoppers or bong plugs to seal the openings of your bong, such as the mouthpiece and the stem hole. Shake your bong vigorously for about five minutes, making sure the salt and alcohol mixture reaches every part of the bong.
- Rinse and repeat: Pour out the dirty solution into a sink and rinse your bong with warm water. Repeat the cleaning process as many times as needed until your bong is sparkling clean.
- Clean the bowl and stem: Place the bowl and stem in separate zipper bags and add some salt and alcohol to each bag. Seal the bags and shake them for a few minutes. Then take out the pieces and scrub them with a pipe cleaner or a brush. Rinse them with warm water and let them dry.
- Reassemble your bong: Once all the parts are clean and dry, put your bong back together. Fill it with fresh water and enjoy your smoke.
Cleaning your bong is not only a matter of aesthetics, but also of health, taste, and performance. By following these simple tips, you can keep your bong in good shape and make the most out of your herb or tobacco.