If you are new to smoking herb or tobacco, you might be wondering how to use a bong. A bong is a water pipe that filters and cools the smoke, making it smoother and more enjoyable. Bongs come in different shapes, sizes and materials, but they all have the same basic parts: a bowl, a stem, a chamber and a mouthpiece. In this guide, we will show you how to pack a bong properly and get the most out of your smoking experience.
What You Need
- A bong. You can buy one from a head shop, online store or make your own from a plastic bottle or a glass jar.
- Herb or tobacco. Choose a strain that suits your preferences and tolerance level. You can also mix different herbs or add some flavorings for variety.
- A grinder. This is a device that breaks down your herb or tobacco into small pieces that burn evenly and efficiently. You can also use scissors or your fingers, but a grinder will give you a finer and more consistent grind.
- A lighter or matches. You will need something to ignite your herb or tobacco in the bowl.
- A screen. This is a small piece of metal or glass that prevents your herb or tobacco from falling into the water or clogging the stem. You can buy screens from head shops or online stores, or make your own from aluminum foil or wire mesh.
How to Pack a Bong
- Grind your herb or tobacco. Use your grinder, scissors or fingers to break down your herb or tobacco into small pieces, about the size of grains of rice. Make sure there are no stems, seeds or other impurities in the mix.
- Pack the bowl. Remove the bowl from the bong and place a screen at the bottom of it. This will prevent your herb or tobacco from falling through the hole. Then, fill the bowl with your ground herb or tobacco, but don’t pack it too tightly or too loosely. You want to leave some space for air to flow through, but not so much that the herb or tobacco falls out when you inhale. A good rule of thumb is to fill the bowl about three-quarters of the way.
- Fill the chamber with water. Put the bowl back on the bong and fill the chamber with water until it covers the stem by about an inch. The water will filter and cool the smoke as it bubbles through it. You can also add some ice cubes to the chamber for extra cooling effect.
- Light up and inhale. Hold the bong by the base or the neck and put your mouth over the mouthpiece. Make sure you form a tight seal with your lips. Then, use your lighter or matches to ignite the herb or tobacco in the bowl. As you do so, gently inhale through the mouthpiece and draw the smoke into the chamber. Don’t inhale too hard or too fast, or you might suck up some water or ash into your mouth.
- Clear the chamber and exhale. When you have filled the chamber with smoke, remove your mouth from the mouthpiece and hold your breath for a few seconds. This will allow the smoke to enter your lungs and deliver its effects. Then, exhale slowly and enjoy the sensation. To clear the chamber of any remaining smoke, lift up the bowl slightly to create an air hole, and inhale through the mouthpiece again until no smoke is left.
- Repeat as desired. You can take as many hits as you want from your bong, depending on how much herb or tobacco you have packed and how high you want to get. Just remember to be respectful of others if you are sharing your bong, and pass it along after each hit.