If you are a fan of smoking herbs or tobacco, you might have heard of or used a glass bong. A glass bong is a smoking device that uses water to filter and cool the smoke before you inhale it. Glass bongs are popular because they offer a smooth and flavorful smoking experience, as well as being aesthetically pleasing and easy to clean.
But did you know that there are many different types and shapes of glass bongs? Each type and shape has its own features, benefits, and drawbacks that can affect your smoking experience. In this blog post, we will explore some of the most common types and shapes of glass bongs and how they can enhance or diminish your smoking pleasure.
Types of glass bongs
Generally, glass bongs can be categorized into two groups: traditional bongs and modern bongs. Traditional bongs are simple, straightforward, and have a classic design. They tend to be smaller in size and have a straight tube or a round base. Modern bongs are more complex, innovative, and have various features that can improve the functionality and performance of the bong. They tend to be larger in size and have a beaker base or a percolator.
Let’s take a look at some of the most popular types of glass bongs:
- Beaker bongs: These are named after their beaker-like shape and are typically made from high-quality borosilicate glass. Beaker bongs have a wide base that provides stability and prevents spills. They also have more water capacity than straight tube bongs, which means more filtration and cooling for the smoke. Beaker bongs are suitable for beginners and experienced smokers alike, as they are easy to use and clean. You can also add an ash catcher or a diffused downstem to further filter the smoke, or ice notches to cool it down even more. You can find some examples of beaker bongs here.
- Straight tube bongs: These are a classic and timeless design that have been around for decades. They are shaped like a giant test tube with a bowl poking out of the side. They are simple to use and inexpensive to buy, as they have a very basic design. However, they can also be enhanced with percolators, ice catchers, or other features to improve the smoking experience. Straight tube bongs offer quick and powerful hits, as the smoke travels directly from the bowl to the mouthpiece with minimal resistance. However, they can also be unstable and prone to tipping over, as they have a narrow base. You can find some examples of straight tube bongs here.
- Round base bongs: These are similar to beaker bongs but with a rounded bottom instead of a tapered one. They have a flat base that makes them stable and easy to use. They also have a large water chamber that allows for good filtration and cooling of the smoke. Round base bongs can come in interesting designs, such as zong bongs, which have zig-zagging tubes that add style and function to the bong. Round base bongs offer smooth and mellow hits, as the smoke has more time to interact with the water before reaching the mouthpiece. However, they can also be harder to clean than straight tube or beaker bongs, as they have more curves and angles. You can find some examples of round base bongs here.
- Percolator bongs: These are the most advanced and sophisticated type of glass bongs on the market today. They feature a glass filter suspended into the water chamber that breaks up the smoke into smaller bubbles, increasing the surface area for filtration and cooling. Percolator bongs can have one or more percolators, each with its own design and function. Some of the most common types of percolators are tree percs, honeycomb percs, showerhead percs, turbine percs, matrix percs, etc. Percolator bongs offer the smoothest and cleanest hits possible, as they remove most of the tar and toxins from the smoke while preserving the flavor and potency. However, they can also be the most expensive and difficult to clean type of glass bongs, as they have more parts and chambers. You can find some examples of percolator bongs here.
Shapes of glass bongs
Besides the types of glass bongs, there are also different shapes of glass bongs that can affect the smoking experience. Some of the most common shapes of glass bongs are:
- Standard bongs: These are the most common and basic shape of glass bongs. They have a straight or slightly curved tube that connects the bowl to the mouthpiece. They are easy to use and clean, and offer decent hits. However, they can also be boring and plain, and lack any special features or functions.
- Bent neck bongs: These are a variation of standard bongs that have a bent or angled neck that curves towards the user. They are designed to prevent water from splashing into the mouthpiece, as well as to provide a more comfortable and ergonomic smoking position. They are ideal for smokers who like to recline or relax while smoking, as they don’t have to tilt their head or strain their neck. However, they can also be harder to clean than standard bongs, as they have more bends and corners.
- Recycler bongs: These are a type of percolator bongs that have two chambers connected by tubes. They work by recycling the smoke from the first chamber to the second chamber, where it gets filtered and cooled again before reaching the mouthpiece. This creates a continuous loop of smoke that enhances the flavor and smoothness of the hit. They are perfect for smokers who like to savor their smoke and enjoy long sessions. However, they can also be very complex and fragile, as they have more tubes and joints.
- Bubbler bongs: These are a hybrid between a bong and a pipe. They have a small water chamber that filters and cools the smoke, but they also have a carb hole that allows for more control over the airflow. They are portable and discreet, as they can fit in your hand or pocket. They are great for smokers who want a quick and easy hit on the go. However, they can also be less efficient and satisfying than regular bongs, as they have less water capacity and smoke volume.
- Gravity bongs: These are a DIY type of glass bongs that use gravity to force the smoke into the chamber. They consist of two parts: a large container filled with water and a smaller container with a bowl attached to it. The smaller container is submerged into the water and then lifted up as the bowl is lit, creating a vacuum that draws the smoke into the chamber. The user then removes the bowl and inhales the smoke from the chamber. They are cheap and easy to make, as they can be made from household items such as plastic bottles or buckets. They are notorious for delivering intense and potent hits, as they produce a lot of smoke in one go. However, they can also be harsh and unpleasant, as they don’t filter or cool the smoke at all.
As you can see, there are many different types and shapes of glass bongs that can suit your preferences and needs. Whether you want a simple and classic design or a complex and innovative one, there is a glass bong for you. The best way to find out which type and shape of glass bong works best for you is to try them out yourself. You can browse our selection of glass bongs here and order yours today.