If you enjoy smoking herbs or tobacco from a glass bong, you may have encountered the problem of unpleasant odors lingering in your device or in the air. Not only does this affect the taste and quality of your smoke, but it can also attract unwanted attention from your neighbors, roommates or visitors. Fortunately, there are some simple and effective ways to eliminate the smell of a glass bong after using it, and to keep it clean and fresh for future sessions. Here are some tips and tricks to help you out.
Why Does a Glass Bong Smell?
A glass bong smells because of the resin and tar that accumulate in the water and on the walls of the device as you smoke. These substances contain organic compounds that can produce strong and distinctive aromas, especially when heated or exposed to air. The water in the bong also acts as a breeding ground for bacteria and fungi, which can cause mold and mildew to grow and release spores that can irritate your lungs and cause infections . Therefore, it is important to change the water regularly and to clean the bong thoroughly after each use.
How to Clean a Glass Bong After Using It?
Cleaning a glass bong after using it is not a difficult task, but it requires some patience and attention to detail. You will need some basic supplies, such as rubbing alcohol, coarse salt, cotton swabs, pipe cleaners and resealable plastic bags. You may also want to use some lemon juice or vinegar to add some extra cleaning power and freshness. Here are the steps to follow:
- Separate all the parts of the bong, such as the bowl, the slide and the stem, and rinse them with hot water to remove any loose chunks of resin or tar . Be careful not to use water that is too hot, as it can crack the glass if it is cold. You may want to wear gloves to avoid getting your hands dirty or smelly.
- Place the smaller parts in resealable plastic bags and fill them with rubbing alcohol until they are fully submerged. You can also add some salt or lemon juice to act as abrasives and help dissolve the resin . Seal the bags and shake them gently to distribute the liquid. Let them soak for at least 15 minutes, or longer if they are very dirty.
- Pour some rubbing alcohol and salt into the base of the bong and swirl it around to coat the inside. You can also use a bottle brush or a pipe cleaner to scrub any hard-to-reach areas . Let the solution sit for at least 15 minutes, or longer if needed.
- Drain the alcohol from the base and rinse it with hot water until it is clear. You can also add some lemon juice or vinegar to neutralize any remaining odors . Repeat this step until you are satisfied with the cleanliness of your bong.
- Drain the alcohol from the plastic bags and rinse the smaller parts with hot water as well. You can use cotton swabs or pipe cleaners to remove any stubborn residue . Make sure to dry them well before reassembling your bong.
- Enjoy your clean and fresh-smelling glass bong!
How to Prevent Your Glass Bong from Smelling?
The best way to prevent your glass bong from smelling is to clean it regularly, preferably after every use. This will prevent the buildup of resin, tar, bacteria and fungi that cause odors and health risks. However, if you don’t have time or resources to clean your bong every time, here are some other tips to keep it smelling good:
- Change the water frequently, at least once a day if you use your bong often . This will reduce the amount of organic matter that can decompose and smell in your bong.
- Use filtered or distilled water instead of tap water, as it contains fewer minerals and contaminants that can affect the taste and smell of your smoke . You can also add some lemon juice or vinegar to your water to make it more acidic and inhibit bacterial growth .
- Use a product like Piece Water that will keep your bong water smelling good through multiple smoke sessions . This product contains natural ingredients that prevent resin from sticking to your glass and reduce odors and harshness.
- Use an ash catcher to keep most of the ash and debris out of your bong’s main chamber . This will make your bong easier to clean and reduce the smell.
- Store your bong in a cool and dry place, away from direct sunlight and heat sources . This will prevent the water from evaporating and the resin from melting and releasing odors.
- Use an odor eliminator spray or candle to mask or neutralize any lingering smells in the air after smoking . You can also use some natural remedies, such as baking soda, coffee grounds or activated charcoal, to absorb odors in your room .
A glass bong is a great way to enjoy your herbs or tobacco, but it can also become a source of unpleasant smells if you don’t take care of it properly. By following the steps and tips outlined in this article, you can keep your bong clean and fresh, and enhance your smoking experience. Remember to always use your bong responsibly and safely, and to respect the laws and regulations of your area. Happy smoking!