Glass bongs are a popular way to enjoy your favorite herb or tobacco, but they also come with some challenges. Glass bongs can get dirty, clogged, cracked, or even shattered if you don’t take good care of them. In this blog post, we will discuss some of the most common problems and issues that glass bong users face and how to solve them.
Problem #1: Dirty or clogged bong
One of the most common issues that glass bong users face is a dirty or clogged bong. A dirty bong can affect the taste, smell, and smoothness of your smoke, as well as pose health risks from bacteria and mold. A clogged bong can prevent you from getting a good hit and waste your herb or tobacco.
The solution to this problem is simple: clean your bong regularly. Cleaning a glass bong is easy and cheap. All you need is:
- Isopropyl alcohol (70% or 90%)
- Coarse salt
- A ziplock bag or a container with a lid
- Paper towels or cotton swabs
Here are the steps to clean your glass bong:
- Pour out the water from your bong and rinse it with warm water.
- Disassemble your bong and place each piece in a ziplock bag or a container with a lid.
- Pour enough alcohol to cover each piece and add some salt.
- Seal the bags or containers and shake them vigorously for a few minutes.
- Let the pieces soak in the alcohol-salt mixture for a few hours or overnight for tough tar.
- Pour out the alcohol-salt mixture and rinse each piece with warm water.
- Use paper towels or cotton swabs to wipe off any remaining residue.
- Let the pieces dry completely before reassembling your bong.
You can also use specially made bong cleaners that you can buy at a head shop or a weed store, but they are often more expensive and have unnecessary chemicals in them.
Problem #2: Cracked or chipped bong
Another common issue that glass bong users face is a cracked or chipped bong. This can happen due to accidental drops, bumps, or temperature changes. A cracked or chipped bong can leak water, affect the airflow, and pose safety hazards from sharp edges.
The solution to this problem depends on the severity of the damage. If your bong is still fairly intact, with just a clean break or some minor cracks and chips, you may be able to repair it with some products that are easy to get your hands on. Here are some options:
- Food grade silicone: This is a non-toxic substance that is often used to make molds for food items. It is also resistant to damage and great for sealing cracks and chips. You can use food grade silicone to glue back a broken piece of glass or fill in small gaps. Just apply some silicone on the damaged area, press it firmly, and let it cure for 24 hours.
- Duct tape: This is not the most elegant option, but it can work in a pinch. Duct tape can cover up cracks and chips and prevent water leakage and airflow issues. Just wrap some duct tape around the damaged area and make sure it is tight and secure.
If your bong is shattered into many pieces, you are out of luck. You will have to buy a new one or use another piece instead.
Problem #3: Broken downstem or bowl
A third common issue that glass bong users face is a broken downstem or bowl. These are the parts that connect your bong to your herb or tobacco and allow you to smoke it. A broken downstem or bowl can prevent you from using your bong at all.
The solution to this problem is simple: replace the broken part. You can buy a new downstem or bowl that fits your bong at a head shop or a weed store, or online. Make sure you measure the size and diameter of your old part before buying a new one, so you get the right fit. You can also use this opportunity to upgrade your bong with a better or more stylish part.
Glass bongs are a great way to enjoy your herb or tobacco, but they also require some maintenance and care. By following these tips, you can solve some of the most common problems and issues that glass bong users face and keep your bong in good shape. Happy smoking!