If you enjoy smoking herb or tobacco from a glass bong, you know how important it is to keep it clean and unclogged. A dirty bong can ruin your smoking experience by making the hits harsher, dulling the flavor of the smoke, and exposing you to mold and bacteria. Not to mention, it looks unsightly and smells bad.
Fortunately, cleaning a glass bong is not hard or expensive. You just need some basic supplies and a few minutes of your time. In this blog post, we will show you how to prevent your glass bong from getting clogged or dirty, and how to clean it properly when it does.
How to Prevent Your Glass Bong from Getting Clogged or Dirty
The best way to prevent your glass bong from getting clogged or dirty is to maintain it regularly. Here are some tips to follow:
- Change the water in your bong after every smoke session. This will prevent the water from getting stale and full of tar and debris. Stagnant water can also harbor mold and bacteria, which can be harmful to your health.
- Rinse out the bong with hot water before and after each use. This will loosen up any resin that may be sticking to the glass and make it easier to clean later.
- Knock off any big pieces of resin with cotton swabs or pipe cleaners. If there are any large chunks of tar or resin that you can easily reach, simply knock them off with gentle scrubbing. This will prevent them from clogging up the bong or affecting the airflow.
- Store your bong in a cool, dry place. Avoid exposing your bong to direct sunlight, heat, or moisture, as these can damage the glass or cause resin to melt and drip.
- Clean your bong thoroughly at least once a week. Even if you follow the above tips, your bong will still accumulate some dirt and grime over time. To ensure you get the best smoking experience, you should deep clean your bong at least once a week using one of the methods below.
How to Clean Your Glass Bong
There are many ways to clean a glass bong, but the most common and effective one is to use isopropyl alcohol and coarse salt. Here are the steps:
- Separate all the moving pieces from the bong. This includes the bowl, the stem, and any other attachments. You will clean them separately.
- Pour out the water from the bong and rinse it with hot water.
- Place the smaller pieces in resealable plastic bags. Make sure they can seal effectively.
- Fill your plastic bags with isopropyl alcohol and salt. Make sure the pieces are fully submerged in the fluid. The alcohol will dissolve the resin, while the salt will act as an abrasive to scrub it off.
- Fill your bong with isopropyl alcohol and salt as well. Plug the holes with paper towels or rubber stoppers.
- Shake the bags and the bong vigorously for a minute or two. This will help dislodge any stubborn resin from the glass.
- Let the bags and the bong soak for a few hours or overnight for best results.
- Pour out the alcohol/salt mixture from the bags and the bong. Rinse them with warm water to make sure no alcohol or salt are left.
- Use cotton swabs, pipe cleaners, or a pipe brush to remove any remaining resin from hard-to-reach areas.
- Dry your pieces with paper towels or let them air dry completely before reassembling your bong.
Congratulations! You have successfully cleaned your glass bong and made it look good as new. Enjoy your smooth and flavorful hits!
Alternative Methods to Clean Your Glass Bong
If you don’t have isopropyl alcohol or salt available, don’t worry. There are other methods you can use to clean your glass bong without alcohol. Here are some alternatives:
- Lemon juice and boiling water: Boil some water and add lemon juice to it. Lemon juice is acidic and can help break down resin. Pour the mixture into your bong and let it soak for a while. Then rinse it with warm water.
- Vinegar and baking soda: Pour some vinegar into your bong and add some baking soda. This will create a fizzy reaction that can loosen up resin. Let it sit for a while, then rinse it with warm water.
- Denture tablets and hot water: Drop some denture tablets into your bong and fill it with hot water. The tablets will dissolve and release bubbles that can clean your bong. Let it sit for a while, then rinse it with warm water.
- Commercial bong cleaners: You can also buy specially made bong cleaners at a head shop or weed store. These are usually more expensive than the homemade methods, but they may work faster and better. Follow the instructions on the label.
Cleaning your glass bong is not only hygienic, but also enjoyable. A clean bong will give you smoother, tastier, and healthier hits. It will also extend the life of your bong and make it look more attractive.
To prevent your glass bong from getting clogged or dirty, you should change the water regularly, rinse it with hot water, knock off any big pieces of resin, store it in a cool, dry place, and clean it thoroughly once a week.
To clean your glass bong, you can use isopropyl alcohol and salt, or one of the alternative methods we mentioned. The key is to soak your bong and its parts in a solvent that can dissolve resin, and then rinse them with warm water.
We hope this blog post has helped you learn how to prevent your glass bong from getting clogged or dirty, and how to clean it properly when it does. Happy smoking!
- How to Properly Clean Any Type of Bong – Insider
- 3 Ways to Clean a Glass Bong – wikiHow
- How to Clean Glass Bongs & Pipes | Leafly
- How to Clean a Bong – WayofLeaf