If you enjoy smoking herb or tobacco from a bong, you may have encountered some challenges when it comes to keeping your activity discreet. Bongs can produce loud bubbling sounds and strong odors that can attract unwanted attention from your neighbors, roommates, or family members. Fortunately, there are some tips and tricks that can help you use a glass bong without making too much noise or smell. In this blog post, we will explain how glass bongs work, how to use them properly, and how to minimize the sound and smell of your smoking session.
How Glass Bongs Work
A glass bong is a water pipe that uses water to cool and filter the smoke, producing a smooth, clean-tasting, and potentially healthier smoking experience. The physics behind a bong are fairly straightforward: smoke is pulled through a chamber filled with water, and as the smoke bubbles up through the liquid, the water simultaneously cools down the temperature of the smoke and pulls out fine particulate matter including tar and ash.
A glass bong usually consists of one primary vessel which is air- and water-tight, along with a bowl and stem, and some sort of mouthpiece. Most bongs have a hole somewhere above the water level, known as the “carburetor”, “carb”, “choke”, “bink”, “rush”, or “shotty,” which helps to clear the smoke when released.
Glass bongs are made by superheating glass to a temperature of up to 1163°C, making it malleable enough to shape. Then, using a hollowed steel rod or blowpipe, the craftsmen literally blow on one end filling the molten glass with air, forming a bubble-like shape. Glass bongs come in a variety of shapes and sizes. Some are simple and functional, others are handmade, stained-glass works of art.
How to Use a Glass Bong Properly
Here are the steps to use a glass bong correctly:
- Prep your bong. Pour water into the mouthpiece until the waterline is above the base of the stem but below the bowl. You can also put ice cubes in the water if you’d like.
- Grind your herb or tobacco. Take a small amount of herb or tobacco, grind or break it up and fill the bowl, without packing it too tightly.
- Place your lips inside the mouthpiece. Place your mouth inside the mouthpiece, creating a tight seal.
- Use a lighter or hemp wick. Hold a flame over the bowl and inhale strongly, and steadily. Using a lighter can result in low levels of butane inhalation, which is non-toxic but may present health problems in large quantities.
- Start inhaling. When the chamber starts to fill with smoke, pull out the bowl or take your finger off the carb and inhale forcefully, clearing the smoke into your lungs.
- Exhale. Exhale, and if desired, repeat steps 3-5.
- Clean your bong. It’s not a must every time you use the bong, but make sure to keep it clean and change the water regularly. A bong can produce large hits of thick smoke that can make it a more potent option than most other smoking methods.
How to Minimize the Noise and Smell of Your Glass Bong
Here are some tips and tricks that can help you reduce the sound and odor of your glass bong:
- Use less water. The more water you have in your bong, the louder the bubbling noise will be. Try using just enough water to cover the bottom of the downstem.
- Use warm water. Warm water can create smoother hits and less coughing than cold water. Coughing can be noisy and smelly, so avoid it if you can.
- Inhale slowly and gently. The faster you inhale, the more noise you will make. Try to inhale at a steady and moderate pace, without creating too much suction.
- Use a sploof. A sploof is a device that filters the smoke before it leaves your mouth. You can make one by stuffing a toilet paper roll with dryer sheets and exhaling through it.
- Use an air freshener or a candle. To mask the smell of your herb or tobacco, you can spray some air freshener or light a scented candle in your room. You can also open a window or use a fan to ventilate the area.
Glass bongs are a popular and enjoyable way to smoke herb or tobacco. They can provide smooth, clean, and potent hits that can enhance your smoking experience. However, they can also be noisy and smelly, which can be a problem if you want to be discreet. By following the steps above, you can use a glass bong without making too much noise or smell, and enjoy your smoking session in peace.