If you are a fan of smoking herb or tobacco from a glass bong, you know how frustrating it can be when your precious piece gets damaged. Whether it’s a crack, a chip, or a complete break, a broken glass bong can ruin your smoking experience and pose a safety hazard. But don’t despair, there are some ways to deal with a broken or cracked glass bong and possibly fix it yourself or get it fixed by a professional. Here are some tips and tricks to help you out.
How to fix a broken glass bong yourself
Depending on the type and extent of the damage, you may be able to repair your glass bong at home with some products that are easy to find and use. However, before you attempt any DIY repairs, you should keep in mind the following:
- Make sure the bong is clean and dry before applying any glue or sealant.
- Wear gloves and eye protection to avoid getting cut by sharp edges or exposed to toxic substances.
- Choose products that are non-toxic, heat-resistant, and waterproof, as some glues may contain solvents that can harm your health or damage the glass further.
- Follow the instructions on the product label carefully and allow enough time for curing before using the bong again.
- Be aware that some repairs may not last long or be as effective as a new bong, so consider replacing your bong if the damage is severe or recurrent.
Here are some of the products and methods you can use to fix a broken glass bong yourself:
Food grade silicone
Food grade silicone is a non-toxic and waterproof substance that can be used as a sealant for cracks, chips, or joints in your glass bong. It is flexible and resistant to damage, but it does not provide much structural support and can be easily peeled off. Food grade silicone works best for minor damage that does not affect the functionality of the bong. To use food grade silicone, you will need:
- A tube of food grade silicone (available online or at hardware stores)
- A caulking gun (optional)
- A utility knife or scissors
- A toothpick or a small spatula
To apply food grade silicone, follow these steps:
- Cut off the tip of the silicone tube with a utility knife or scissors.
- If using a caulking gun, insert the tube into the gun and squeeze the trigger until the silicone comes out.
- If not using a caulking gun, squeeze the tube gently until the silicone comes out.
- Apply a thin layer of silicone over the crack, chip, or joint in your glass bong. Use a toothpick or a small spatula to smooth out the silicone and fill any gaps.
- Let the silicone cure for at least 24 hours before using the bong again.
Two-component epoxy is a strong and durable glue that can bond glass pieces together for a long-lasting repair. It is made by mixing two substances: resin and hardener. There are many brands of two-component epoxy available online or at hardware stores, but you should look for one that is non-toxic and heat-resistant. Two-component epoxy works best for fixing clean breaks in your glass bong. To use two-component epoxy, you will need:
- A two-component epoxy kit (containing resin and hardener)
- A disposable container (such as a plastic cup)
- A disposable stirrer (such as a popsicle stick)
- A pair of tweezers or pliers
- A glass cutter (optional)
- A high grit sandpaper (optional)
To apply two-component epoxy, follow these steps:
- If your glass bong has jagged edges or uneven pieces, use a glass cutter to score and snap off the excess parts to create a clean break. Use high grit sandpaper to smooth out any rough areas.
- Pour equal amounts of resin and hardener into the disposable container and mix them well with the disposable stirrer.
- Apply a thin layer of epoxy on both sides of the broken pieces of glass. Use tweezers or pliers to hold the pieces together and align them correctly.
- Press the pieces firmly and hold them in place for a few minutes until the epoxy sets.
- Let the epoxy cure for at least 24 hours before using the bong again.
Loctite glass is a special type of glue that is designed to bond glass to glass. It is water-resistant and heat-resistant, but it does contain solvents that may be toxic to humans. Loctite glass works best for fixing small cracks or chips in your glass bong. To use Loctite glass, you will need:
- A tube of Loctite glass (available online or at hardware stores)
- A toothpick or a small spatula
To apply Loctite glass, follow these steps:
- Squeeze a small amount of Loctite glass onto the crack or chip in your glass bong. Use a toothpick or a small spatula to spread the glue evenly and fill any gaps.
- Let the glue dry for at least 15 minutes before using the bong again.
JB Weld, Quick Steel, or Plumber’s Putty
These are some of the products that can be used to fix larger holes or gaps in your glass bong. They are usually made of metal or clay-like substances that can harden and seal the damage. However, they are not very aesthetically pleasing and may affect the taste or quality of your smoke. They may also contain toxic chemicals that can leach into your water or vapor. These products work best for temporary repairs until you can replace your bong. To use these products, you will need:
- A tube or a stick of JB Weld, Quick Steel, or Plumber’s Putty (available online or at hardware stores)
- A pair of gloves
- A utility knife or scissors
To apply these products, follow these steps:
- Put on a pair of gloves to protect your hands from the chemicals.
- Cut off a small amount of the product with a utility knife or scissors.
- Knead the product with your fingers until it becomes soft and pliable.
- Press the product over the hole or gap in your glass bong and mold it into shape.
- Let the product cure for at least an hour before using the bong again.
Duct tape is a cheap and easy way to fix a broken glass bong, but it is not very effective or safe. Duct tape can only cover up the damage, not seal it. It can also peel off easily, leave sticky residue, or catch fire when exposed to heat. Duct tape works best for emergency repairs when you have no other option. To use duct tape, you will need:
- A roll of duct tape (available online or at hardware stores)
To apply duct tape, follow these steps:
- Tear off a piece of duct tape that is large enough to cover the damage in your glass bong.
- Stick the duct tape over the crack, chip, hole, or gap in your glass bong and press it firmly.
- Repeat with more duct tape if needed until the damage is covered.
- Use the bong with caution and replace it as soon as possible.
How to get your broken glass bong fixed by a professional
If you don’t feel confident or comfortable fixing your broken glass bong yourself, or if the damage is too severe for DIY repairs, you may want to consider getting your bong fixed by a professional. There are some skilled glassblowers who can repair glass bongs by using a torch and kiln method. They can mend cracks, chips, holes, breaks, and even percolators in your glass bong. However, this service may not be cheap or easy to find. You will need to:
- Search online or ask around for local glassblowers who offer bong repair services.
- Contact them and describe the damage in your bong and ask for a quote and a timeframe.
- Remove any temporary repairs you have made and clean your bong thoroughly before sending it to them.
- Pack your bong carefully and securely in bubble wrap and a sturdy box and ship it to them or deliver it in person.
- Wait for them to fix your bong and send it back to you or pick it up from them.