If you are new to the world of bongs, you might be wondering how to use one correctly. Bongs are a popular way to smoke herb or tobacco, as they offer a smooth, clean and potentially healthier experience than other methods. But hitting a bong is not as simple as just lighting up and inhaling. There are some steps and techniques you need to follow to get the most out of your bong session. Here is a guide on how to hit a bong properly.
What is a bong?
A bong is a device that uses water to filter and cool down the smoke produced by burning herb or tobacco. It consists of a bowl, where you pack your material, a stem, which connects the bowl to the water chamber, and a mouthpiece, where you inhale the smoke. Some bongs also have additional features, such as percolators, ice catches, or carb holes, that enhance the smoking experience.
The main advantage of using a bong is that the water removes some of the harmful substances and particulate matter from the smoke, such as tar and ash. This makes the smoke less harsh on your throat and lungs, and more flavorful. According to some scientific studies, water filtration can also reduce the amount of toxins in the smoke, while preserving most of the THC, the main psychoactive compound in herb .
What do you need to hit a bong?
Before you start hitting a bong, make sure you have everything you need. Here is a list of the essentials:
- Your favorite strain of herb or tobacco
- A bong. Make sure your bong has a bowl and a stem that fit well together.
- A lighter or hemp wick
- A grinder
- For cleaning your bong, you will need zipper-top plastic bags, plugs that fit the holes in your bong, and a cleaning solution (either one designed specifically for bongs or a combination of rubbing alcohol and coarse salt).
How to hit a bong step by step
Now that you have everything ready, it’s time to learn how to hit a bong like a pro. Follow these steps and practice until you master the art of bong smoking.
- Fill the bong with water. Pour water into the water chamber through the mouthpiece, which is the large opening at the top of the bong. Put enough water so that the bottom of the stem is fully submerged, but not too much that it splashes into your mouth when you inhale. You can also add ice cubes to the water or to the ice catch if your bong has one. This will make the smoke even cooler and smoother.
- Pack the bowl. Use a grinder to break up your herb or tobacco into small pieces. This will help it burn more evenly and produce more smoke. Don’t overpack the bowl, as this will make it hard to draw air through it. A good rule of thumb is to fill it up to three-quarters of its capacity.
- Light the bowl while you inhale. This is the part that may take some practice. Hold the lighter or hemp wick above the bowl and ignite it while placing your mouth inside the mouthpiece. Make sure your mouth goes inside the opening, not around it. Breathe in slowly and steadily while lighting only a small portion of the herb or tobacco (the corner of the bowl). This way, you can save some green for later hits and avoid wasting material. Watch the smoke fill up in the chamber as you inhale.
- Pull out the stem and let it rip! Once you have enough smoke in the chamber, pull out the stem (or uncover the carb hole if your bong has one) and inhale sharply to clear all the smoke from the chamber into your lungs. The faster and stronger you inhale, the more smoke you will get