A gravity bong is a type of homemade bong that uses water and pressure to draw smoke into the lungs. It consists of a two-piece chamber system that nestles together—one larger chamber to hold the water and a second smaller chamber to hold the bowl and capture the smoke. As the herb is lit, gravity pulls herb smoke into the bottle using water in a container to create suction. A gravity bong is also known by various names such as GB, geeb, bucket bong, or waterfall bong.
Gravity bongs are popular among cannabis enthusiasts because they deliver a powerful hit of THC that may be too much for an inexperienced cannabis beginner, but can be very satisfying for those who have a high tolerance or want to stretch their stash. Gravity bongs are also easy and cheap to make at home using some everyday household objects. However, there are some drawbacks and risks associated with using gravity bongs, such as inhaling combustible materials from plastic bottles, getting too high too fast, or experiencing coughing fits or nausea.
How Does a Gravity Bong Work?
A gravity bong works by creating a vacuum between two chambers with water as a sealant in the middle. The larger chamber is usually a plastic bottle with the top cut off and filled with water. The smaller chamber is another plastic bottle with the bottom cut off and an opening for the cap at the top. A bowl with a small hole at the bottom is attached to the cap of the smaller bottle and filled with herb.
To use a gravity bong, the smaller bottle is submerged in the larger bottle with water, leaving some space at the top. The herb is then lit and the smaller bottle is slowly pulled out of the water, creating negative air pressure that draws air through the bowl and fills the bottle with smoke. Once the bottle is full of smoke, the cap is removed and the user places their mouth over the opening of the bottle. The user then pushes the bottle down into the water, forcing the smoke out of the bottle and into their lungs.
A variation of this method is called a waterfall bong, which uses only one bottle and a bucket or sink filled with water. The bottle has a hole at the bottom and a bowl on the cap. The hole is plugged with a finger or tape and the bottle is filled with water. The user then lights the herb on the cap and removes the plug from the hole, allowing water to flow out of the bottle and create suction. As the water drains out, smoke fills up the bottle. The user then removes the cap and inhales from the bottle as it empties.
How to Make a Gravity Bong at Home?
Making a gravity bong at home is relatively simple and requires only a few materials that you can find around your house. Here are some steps to follow:
- Find two plastic bottles of different sizes. A 2-liter bottle and a 16-ounce bottle work well for this purpose. Cut off the bottom of both bottles using scissors or a knife.
- Make a bowl for your herb using aluminum foil or an empty soda can. If you use foil, poke some small holes in it to allow air flow. If you use a can, cut off one end and dent it slightly to create a concave shape. Attach your bowl to the cap of your smaller bottle using tape or glue.
- Fill your larger bottle with water almost to the top. You can use tap water or filtered water for this step.
- Submerge your smaller bottle in your larger bottle with water, leaving some space at the top for air.
- Grind your herb and pack it loosely in your bowl. Don’t overfill it or it might fall into the water.
- Light your herb and slowly pull up your smaller bottle out of the water, creating suction that draws smoke into the bottle. Be careful not to pull it out completely or you will lose your smoke.
- Once your smaller bottle is full of smoke, remove your cap and place your mouth over the opening of the bottle.
- Push down your smaller bottle into the water, forcing smoke out of the bottle and into your lungs.
- Enjoy your hit and repeat as desired.
What are Some Tips and Tricks for Using a Gravity Bong?
A gravity bong can be a fun and effective way to consume tobacco or other herbs, but it can also be tricky and messy if you don’t know what you’re doing. Here are some tips and tricks to help you get the most out of your gravity bong experience:
- Use a glass bottle instead of a plastic bottle for your smaller chamber. Glass is more durable and less likely to release harmful chemicals when heated. You can find glass bottles at thrift stores, liquor stores, or online.
- Use a metal or glass bowl instead of a foil or can bowl for your herb. Metal and glass are more resistant to heat and won’t affect the taste or quality of your smoke. You can buy metal or glass bowls at smoke shops, online, or use an old socket wrench or pen cap.
- Use fresh water for your larger chamber. Water can get stale and dirty after repeated use, which can affect the flavor and smoothness of your smoke. Change your water regularly or use ice water for a cooler hit.</li