If you enjoy smoking herb or tobacco from a glass bong, you know how important it is to keep it clean and fresh. A dirty bong can ruin your smoking experience by making your hits harsher, dulling the flavor of your smoke, and exposing you to harmful bacteria and mold. That’s why you should clean your glass bong regularly and properly, using simple household materials or commercial cleaners. In this blog post, we’ll show you how to clean a glass bong in three easy steps, and also give you some tips on how to prevent your bong from getting dirty in the first place.
Step 1: Cleaning the Removable Parts
The first step to cleaning a glass bong is to detach the smaller parts, such as the bowl, the slide, and the stem. These parts tend to accumulate more resin and tar than the rest of the bong, so they need some extra attention. Here’s what you need to do:
- Rinse the parts with hot water for 1-2 minutes to loosen any stubborn debris. Be careful not to use hot water on a cold piece, as this can cause it to shatter. If your piece is cold, start with lukewarm water and slowly raise the temperature.
- Place the parts in a resealable plastic bag or a food storage tub. Add enough 91% isopropyl alcohol to cover the parts, and spoon in 1-2 tablespoons of coarse salt. The alcohol will help dissolve the resin and tar, while the salt will act as an abrasive to scrub them away.
- Shake the bag gently for 2-3 minutes, making sure the salt reaches all the nooks and crannies of the parts. Don’t shake too roughly or you might damage the parts.
- Let the bag sit for 4-5 hours or overnight, depending on how dirty the parts are. The longer you let them soak, the easier it will be to remove the gunk.
- Rinse the parts with warm water and dish soap, and use a cotton swab or a pipe cleaner to remove any remaining residue. Dry them with a paper towel or let them air dry.
Step 2: Cleaning the Bong
The next step is to clean the main body of the bong, where most of the water and smoke passes through. This part can also get dirty over time, especially if you don’t change the water often enough. Here’s what you need to do:
- Pour out the old water from the bong and rinse it with hot water. Again, be careful not to shock the glass with sudden temperature changes.
- Fill the bong halfway with isopropyl alcohol and add 4 tablespoons of coarse salt. If your bong is very large or very dirty, you may need more alcohol and salt.
- Plug the holes of the bong with paper towels or rubber stoppers, and shake it over the sink for 4-5 minutes. The alcohol and salt mixture will act as a solvent and a scrubber for the inside of the bong.
- Scrub the inside of the bong with a bong brush or a sponge on a wire hanger, if you have one. This will help remove any stubborn stains or deposits that are hard to reach.
- Rinse the bong with warm water and dish soap, and make sure no alcohol or salt are left inside. Let it air dry for about an hour or until it doesn’t smell like alcohol anymore.
Step 3: Reassembling and Enjoying Your Bong
The final step is to put your bong back together and enjoy a smooth and flavorful smoke session. Here’s what you need to do:
- Reattach the bowl, slide, stem, and any other parts that you removed from the bong. Make sure they fit snugly and securely.
- Fill the bong with fresh water up to the desired level. You can also add some ice cubes or lemon juice to enhance your smoking experience.
- Pack your bowl with your favorite herb or tobacco blend, light it up, and inhale through the mouthpiece. You’ll notice how much cleaner and smoother your hits are compared to before.
- Clean your bowl after every use by tapping out the ash and wiping it with a paper towel. This will prevent the resin from building up and affecting the taste and quality of your smoke.
Tips on How to Keep Your Bong Clean
Cleaning your glass bong is a simple and rewarding process, but it can also be time-consuming and tedious. That’s why it’s better to prevent your bong from getting dirty in the first place, by following these tips:
- Change the water in your bong after every smoke session, or at least once a day. This will prevent the water from getting stale and contaminated with bacteria and mold, which can cause health problems and bad smells.
- Deep clean your bong roughly once a week, or more often if you use it a lot or if it looks dirty. This will ensure you get the best performance and flavor from your bong, and also extend its lifespan.
- Store your bong in a cool and dry place, away from direct sunlight and heat sources. This will prevent the glass from cracking or fading, and also keep dust and dirt away from your bong.
- Use quality herb or tobacco products that are free of pesticides, additives, or contaminants. This will reduce the amount of resin and tar that accumulate in your bong, and also improve your health and enjoyment.
A glass bong is a great way to enjoy smoking herb or tobacco, but it also requires regular maintenance and care. By following the steps and tips in this blog post, you can keep your glass bong clean and fresh, and enjoy smooth and tasty hits every time. Happy smoking!