If you are a fan of smoking herbs or tobacco from a glass bong, you know how frustrating it can be when your precious piece gets damaged. Whether it’s a crack, a chip, or a complete shatter, a broken bong can ruin your smoking experience and pose a safety hazard. Fortunately, there are some ways to deal with a broken or cracked glass bong and where to get it fixed or replaced.
How to fix a broken or cracked glass bong
Depending on the extent and location of the damage, you may be able to repair your glass bong yourself using some common household items or products that are easy to find online or in stores. However, before you attempt any DIY repairs, make sure that the products you use are safe for human consumption and do not contain any toxic solvents that could harm you when heated up. Here are some possible methods to fix a broken or cracked glass bong:
- Food grade silicone: This is a non-toxic substance that is often used to make molds for food items. It is also resistant to damage and can act as a sealant for cracks, chips, or joints in your glass bong. To use food grade silicone, apply it to the damaged area and let it dry completely. You can also use it to stick back together a clean-cut piece of glass that broke off, but not multiple shattered pieces.
- Two-component epoxy: This is another substance that can bond glass together for a long-lasting repair. However, you need to make sure that you buy an epoxy with no solvents and that is food grade. Epoxy works best on fixing bongs with clean breaks or joints. You may need to use a glass cutter and sandpaper to create a smooth surface before applying epoxy. If your break is at the base where the water stays, you should keep your bong empty between uses to prevent leaks.
- Duct tape: This is a quick and easy way to fix small cracks or cheap glass bongs, but it is not very discreet or durable. Duct tape may also leave sticky residue on your glass or peel off over time. If your break is at the base where the water stays, duct tape will not work very well.
- A bucket: This is not really a fix, but more of a workaround. If you break the base of your bong, you can still use it by placing it in a bucket, sink, tub, or any container that holds water. The water will act as the base of your bong and create an airtight seal.
How to get your glass bong fixed or replaced
If none of the above methods work for you, or if your glass bong is too damaged to be repaired, you may need to get it fixed or replaced by a professional. Here are some options:
- Hire a glassblower: A skilled glassblower can repair your glass bong by using a torch and kiln method. They will require you to remove any temporary repairs you have made and ensure all the pieces are thoroughly clean. They will then heat up the glass and fuse it back together. This may not restore your bong to its original condition, but it will make it functional again.
- Buy a new one: Sometimes, the best option is to buy a new glass bong instead of trying to fix an old one. You can find many online stores that sell high-quality glass bongs at affordable prices. You can also choose from different designs, sizes, colors, and features to suit your preferences.
A broken or cracked glass bong can be a hassle, but it doesn’t have to ruin your smoking experience. You can try some DIY methods to fix it yourself, or get it fixed or replaced by a professional. Either way, make sure that you use safe products and handle your glass bong with care.