A glass bong is a device that allows you to smoke your favorite herb or tobacco through water filtration, resulting in a smoother, cooler, and more flavorful experience. Glass bongs are popular among stoners and tokers for their durability, variety, and aesthetics. However, using a glass bong also comes with some responsibilities and risks that you should be aware of before you light up. Here are some tips on how to enjoy your glass bong safely and legally without causing any harm to yourself or others.
Choose the right glass bong for your needs
There are many types and styles of glass bongs available on the market, from simple beaker bongs to elaborate recyclers with percolators. Depending on your preferences, budget, and experience level, you should choose a glass bong that suits your needs and expectations. Some factors to consider when buying a glass bong are:
- The size and shape of the bong: Glass bongs come in different sizes and shapes, from small and portable to large and stable. The size and shape of the bong affect the amount of water and smoke it can hold, as well as the ease of use and cleaning. Generally, smaller bongs are more convenient for travel and discreet use, while larger bongs offer bigger hits and more filtration.
- The joint size and gender of the bong: Glass bongs have joints that connect the various parts of the pipe, such as the bowl, the downstem, and the mouthpiece. The joints can be either male or female, and they come in different diameters, such as 10mm, 14mm, or 18mm. The joint size and gender of the bong determine what kind of accessories you can use with it, such as nails for dabbing concentrates or ash catchers for extra filtration.
- The type and number of percolators in the bong: Percolators are devices that create bubbles in the water chamber of the bong, increasing the surface area of the smoke and cooling it down further. There are many types of percolators, such as tree, showerhead, honeycomb, turbine, etc., each with its own advantages and disadvantages. Some bongs have multiple percolators for enhanced diffusion and smoothness. However, more percolators also mean more drag and harder cleaning.
Use your glass bong properly
Once you have chosen your glass bong, you need to know how to use it correctly to get the best results. Here are some steps to follow when using your glass bong:
- Fill the base of the bong with enough water to cover the bottom of the downstem. You can also add some ice cubes to the water or the mouthpiece for extra cooling. Make sure the water level is not too high or too low, as this can affect the airflow and splashback.
- Grind your herb or tobacco finely and pack it loosely into the bowl. Don’t overpack or underpack the bowl, as this can affect the burning and airflow. You can also use a screen or a filter to prevent ash from falling into the water.
- Hold the bong securely with one hand and place your mouth over the mouthpiece. Make sure there is no gap between your lips and the mouthpiece.
- Light up your herb or tobacco with a lighter or a hemp wick. As you light up, inhale slowly and steadily through the mouthpiece. You will see the smoke travel through the water chamber and fill up the tube.
- When you have enough smoke in the tube, remove the bowl from the joint or lift up the carb hole (if your bong has one). This will allow fresh air to enter the tube and clear out the smoke.
- Inhale the smoke quickly and deeply into your lungs. Hold it for a few seconds if you want to get more effects from your herb or tobacco.
- Exhale the smoke slowly and gently through your mouth or nose. Avoid coughing or spitting out the smoke, as this can irritate your throat and lungs.
- Repeat the process until you finish your herb or tobacco or until you are satisfied with your session.
Clean your glass bong regularly
One of the most important things to do when using a glass bong is to clean it regularly. Cleaning your glass bong will prevent the buildup of resin, tar, bacteria, and mold, which can affect the taste, smell, and health of your smoking experience. Cleaning your glass bong will also extend its lifespan and keep it looking shiny and new. Here are some tips on how to clean your glass bong:
- Disassemble your glass bong and remove any accessories, such as the bowl, the downstem, and the percolators. Rinse them with hot water to remove any loose debris.
- Fill a large ziplock bag or a container with enough isopropyl alcohol (at least 90%) to submerge the parts of the bong. You can also add some coarse salt to act as an abrasive.
- Place the parts of the bong into the bag or container and shake it vigorously for a few minutes. The alcohol and salt will dissolve and scrub away the resin and tar from the glass.
- Pour out the dirty alcohol and rinse the parts of the bong with hot water again. Use a pipe cleaner, a cotton swab, or a brush to reach any hard-to-clean spots.
- Reassemble your glass bong and let it dry completely before using it again.
Be responsible and respectful when using your glass bong
Last but not least, you should be responsible and respectful when using your glass bong, especially if you are smoking herb or tobacco that is illegal or restricted in your area. Here are some dos and don’ts when using your glass bong:
- Do check the laws and regulations regarding herb or tobacco use in your area before you smoke. Some places may have strict rules about where, when, and how you can smoke, and violating them can result in fines or even jail time.
- Do store your glass bong and your herb or tobacco in a safe and discreet place, away from children, pets, and unwanted visitors. You can use a lockable case, a stash box, or a smell-proof bag to keep your smoking gear hidden and secure.
- Do use your glass bong in a well-ventilated area, preferably outdoors or in a private room. Avoid smoking in public places, near non-smokers, or in shared spaces, as this can expose others to secondhand smoke and cause annoyance or discomfort.
- Do be careful when handling your glass bong, as it can break easily if dropped or knocked over. Use a protective case or a padded bag when transporting your glass bong, and avoid placing it on unstable surfaces.
- Don’t share your glass bong with others without their consent or without sanitizing it first. Sharing your glass bong can spread germs and diseases, such as colds, flu, herpes, or COVID-19. You can use alcohol wipes, mouthpieces, or filters to reduce the risk of cross-contamination.
- Don’t drive or operate heavy machinery while under the influence of herb or tobacco. Smoking herb or tobacco can impair your judgment, coordination, reaction time, and perception, making you more prone to accidents and injuries.
- Don’t smoke more than you can handle or more than you need. Smoking too much herb or tobacco can cause unpleasant side effects, such as paranoia, anxiety, nausea, dizziness, or headaches. Know your limits and listen to your body.
A glass bong is a great way to enjoy your herb or tobacco with style and efficiency. However, using a glass bong also requires some care and caution to avoid any problems or harm. By following these tips on how to choose, use, clean, and respect your glass bong, you can have a safe and satisfying smoking experience every time.