A glass bong is a popular device for smoking herbs or tobacco, especially among cannabis enthusiasts. It uses water to cool and filter the smoke, producing a smooth, clean, and potent experience. However, using a glass bong can also be noisy and smelly, which can be a problem if you want to be discreet or avoid bothering others. In this blog post, we will give you some tips on how to use a glass bong without making too much noise or smell.
What is a glass bong and how does it work?
A glass bong is a type of water pipe that consists of a bowl, a stem, a water chamber, and a mouthpiece. The bowl is where you put your herb or tobacco, the stem connects the bowl to the water chamber, the water chamber holds the water that cools and filters the smoke, and the mouthpiece is where you inhale the smoke from. Most glass bongs also have a hole somewhere above the water level, called a carburetor, carb, choke, bink, rush, or shotty, which helps to clear the smoke when released.
The physics behind a glass bong are fairly simple: when you light the herb or tobacco in the bowl and inhale through the mouthpiece, you create a vacuum that pulls the smoke through the stem and into the water chamber. As the smoke bubbles up through the water, it cools down and loses some of its fine particulate matter, such as tar and ash. This makes the smoke smoother and cleaner for your lungs. When you pull out the bowl or take your finger off the carb, you release the vacuum and allow air to enter the bong, which pushes the remaining smoke into your mouth and lungs.
How to use a glass bong without making too much noise?
One of the main sources of noise when using a glass bong is the bubbling sound of the smoke passing through the water. While this sound can be satisfying for some users, it can also be loud and annoying for others. Here are some ways to reduce the noise level when using a glass bong:
- Use less water. The more water you have in your bong, the more bubbles you will create and the louder they will be. Try to use just enough water to cover the bottom of the stem, but not more than that. You can also experiment with different water levels to find your optimal balance between noise and filtration.
- Use ice cubes. Adding ice cubes to your water chamber can help lower the temperature of the smoke even more, making it smoother and less harsh. Ice cubes can also dampen the sound of bubbling by breaking up the surface tension of the water. However, be careful not to add too many ice cubes or they might block the airflow and make it harder to inhale.
- Use a diffuser. A diffuser is a type of stem that has small holes or slits at its end that split up the smoke into smaller streams before it enters the water. This creates more surface area for the smoke to interact with the water, improving filtration and cooling. It also reduces noise by creating smaller and quieter bubbles.
- Use a percolator. A percolator is an additional chamber inside or attached to your bong that contains water and has its own stem and holes. The smoke passes through this chamber before reaching the main water chamber, creating another layer of filtration and cooling. A percolator can also reduce noise by dispersing the smoke into finer bubbles.
- Use a silencer. A silencer is an accessory that you attach to your mouthpiece that muffles the sound of your inhalation. It usually consists of a tube filled with cotton or foam that absorbs some of the sound waves. A silencer can help you smoke more discreetly by hiding your breathing sounds.
How to use a glass bong without making too much smell?
Another issue that some users face when using a glass bong is the smell of their herb or tobacco. While some people enjoy the aroma of their smoke, others may find it unpleasant or offensive. Moreover, some people may want to avoid detection by others who might disapprove of their smoking habits. Here are some ways to minimize the smell when using a glass bong:
- Use fresh herbs or tobacco. The fresher your herb or tobacco is, the less it will smell when burned. Old or stale herbs or tobacco tend to have more chlorophyll and other compounds that produce a stronger and more pungent odor. Try to store your herbs or tobacco in airtight containers away from heat, light, and moisture to preserve their freshness and quality.
- Use a sploof. A sploof is a homemade device that you exhale your smoke into to mask its smell. It usually consists of a cardboard tube (such as a toilet paper roll or a paper towel roll) stuffed with dryer sheets, activated charcoal, or other odor-absorbing materials. The sploof filters out some of the smell and replaces it with a more pleasant one.
- Use an air purifier. An air purifier is an electronic device that cleans the air in your room by removing dust, pollen, smoke, and other pollutants. Some air purifiers also have filters that can neutralize odors and bacteria. An air purifier can help you keep your smoking area fresh and clean by eliminating the smell of your smoke.
- Use a window fan. A window fan is a simple and cheap way to ventilate your smoking area and get rid of the smell. Just place the fan in your window facing outward and turn it on high. The fan will suck out the smoke and blow it outside, while bringing in fresh air from outside. Make sure to close any other windows or doors in your room to create a negative pressure that prevents the smoke from spreading to other areas.
- Use candles or incense. Candles or incense are another classic method of masking the smell of your smoke. They produce a strong and pleasant fragrance that can overpower the smell of your herb or tobacco. However, be careful not to use too many candles or incense or they might create more smoke and smell than you want. Also, be sure to extinguish them properly after use to avoid fire hazards.
Using a glass bong can be a great way to enjoy your herb or tobacco, but it can also be noisy and smelly for you and others around you. Fortunately, there are some simple tips and tricks that you can follow to reduce the noise and smell when using a glass bong. By using less water, ice cubes, diffusers, percolators, silencers, fresh herbs or tobacco, sploofs, air purifiers, window fans, candles, or incense, you can make your glass bong experience more discreet and pleasant.