If you enjoy smoking herb or tobacco from a bong, you know how important it is to keep it clean and fresh. A dirty bong can ruin the taste of your smoke, harbor mold and bacteria, and even pose a health risk. That’s why you should clean your bong regularly and change the water after every session.
But how do you clean a bong effectively and easily? There are many methods and products available, but one of the simplest and cheapest ways is to use hot water and salt. In this blog post, we will show you how to clean a bong with hot water and salt in a few simple steps.
Why Use Hot Water and Salt?
Hot water and salt are both natural and inexpensive ingredients that can help you clean your bong without harsh chemicals or specialized tools. Hot water helps to loosen up the sticky resin that builds up on the glass over time, while salt acts as an abrasive that scrubs away the residue.
Some people also add other solvents, such as isopropyl alcohol, vinegar, dish soap, or lemon juice, to enhance the cleaning power of hot water and salt. However, these are not strictly necessary, and some people may prefer to avoid them for various reasons. For example, isopropyl alcohol can be flammable, vinegar can leave a strong smell, dish soap can leave a residue, and lemon juice can be acidic.
Hot water and salt are generally safe and effective for most types of bongs, but you should always check the manufacturer’s instructions before cleaning your bong. Some materials, such as acrylic or plastic, may not be compatible with hot water or salt, and may warp or crack. Glass bongs are usually the best option for cleaning with hot water and salt.
How to Clean a Bong with Hot Water and Salt
Cleaning a bong with hot water and salt is a simple process that involves the following steps:
- Empty the bong and rinse it out well with warm water.
- Fill it halfway with warm water.
- Take the bong apart so you can clean the pieces. Remove all of the parts you can, including the pipe and the mouthpiece.
- Pour three or more tablespoons of salt into the bong via the mouthpiece. The coarser the salt, the better.
- Cover the openings of the bong with your hands or some plastic wrap and rubber bands.
- Shake the bong vigorously for several minutes to dissolve the resin. You may need to repeat this step several times until the water turns dark brown or black.
- Pour out the dirty water and rinse the bong again with warm water.
- If there are still some stubborn stains or hard-to-reach areas, you can use a pipe cleaner, a cotton swab, or a scrapper to remove them.
- For the pipe and the mouthpiece, you can use a similar method. Place them in a sandwich bag with some salt and warm water, seal it tightly, and shake it well. Then rinse them with warm water and use a pipe cleaner or a cotton swab to clean them further if needed.
- Let all the parts of the bong dry completely before reassembling it.
Tips for Cleaning a Bong with Hot Water and Salt
To make your cleaning process easier and more effective, here are some tips you can follow:
- Clean your bong regularly to prevent resin from building up too much. Ideally, you should clean your bong after every few days to a week of use.
- Change the water in your bong after every session to avoid mold and bacteria growth. Moldy water can cause lung infections and pneumonia.
- If possible, use distilled or filtered water instead of tap water to fill your bong. Tap water may contain minerals or chemicals that can leave deposits on your glass or affect the taste of your smoke.
- If you don’t have salt handy, you can also use other abrasives such as baking soda, rice, or sand. However, be careful not to scratch your glass with these materials.
- If you want to add some extra cleaning power or fragrance to your hot water and salt solution, you can also add some essential oils such as lavender, peppermint, or tea tree. These oils have antibacterial and antifungal properties and can also mask any unpleasant odors.
- After cleaning your bong, you can also sanitize it by running some boiling water through it. This can kill any remaining germs or bacteria and ensure a safe and smooth smoke.
Cleaning a bong with hot water and salt is a simple, cheap, and effective way to keep your bong in good shape and enjoy your smoke. By following the steps and tips we outlined above, you can easily clean your bong with hot water and salt in no time. However, if you have a bong made of a different material than glass, or if you prefer a different method of cleaning, you can always check out other options available on the market. The most important thing is to clean your bong regularly and change the water often to ensure a healthy and satisfying smoking experience.