A silicone bong is a great choice for anyone who wants a durable, flexible and easy-to-maintain water pipe. Silicone bongs are made of food-grade silicone, which is non-toxic, heat-resistant and resistant to bacteria and mold. However, like any other bong, a silicone bong can get dirty and smelly over time from the buildup of resin, ash and water. That’s why it’s important to clean your silicone bong regularly to keep it fresh and functional.
In this blog post, we will show you how to clean a silicone bong using three different methods: soap and water, freezer and alcohol and salt. Each method has its own advantages and disadvantages, so you can choose the one that suits your preferences and needs. Let’s get started!
Method 1: Soap and Water
This is the simplest and most convenient method to clean a silicone bong. All you need are some basic household items: a baby bottle brush, your favorite liquid dishwasher soap and running water. This method works best if you clean your bong soon after use, when the resin is still soft and easy to remove. Here are the steps to follow:
- Take out the herb slide and put it aside on a secure, safe place. Preferably on top of a thick hand towel or cloth to keep it from rolling over.
- Dump out the used bong water in the sink and let hot water run through the bong for a couple of minutes. Shake the bong to help loosen up the resin.
- Take your liquid soap and pour a generous amount around the inside of the smoke chamber as well as the base.
- Push the bottle brush inside the silicone bong and scrub the bong firmly but not too hard. Make sure to reach inside the deepest part of the bong to clear out the resin. Don’t be afraid to twist and bend your silicone bong as you clean it to ensure that the brush reaches hard-to-reach areas. You can also clean the joint using the same brush. However, do this very carefully. You don’t want to cause a tear on the joint.
- If your bong comes with a silicone downstem, you can use pipe cleaners to scrub the inside thoroughly.
- Rinse off the soap and residue thoroughly with warm water.
- Lay upside down on a dish rack to dry. Make sure there are no other plates beneath the bong in case you weren’t able to get rid of the smell of the resin.
This method should leave your silicone bong sparkling clean and ready for your next session.
Method 2: Freezer
This method is perfect for those who are too tired at the end of a good session to clean their bong right away. The idea is to freeze the resin inside the bong, making it brittle and easy to crack off. The procedure is pretty simple, but you need to prepare your fridge in advance by setting it on the coldest setting for an hour before popping in the bong. You will also need some paper towels or newspaper to wrap around your bong before putting it in the freezer. Here are the steps to follow:
- Take out the glass slide or downstem.
- Rinse the bong thoroughly with warm water to take out any ash and other residue.
- Shake out the water so that it’s wet but not holding in too much water that will solidify into a block of ice. What you need is a good film of water to coat around the inner walls of the bong.
- Wrap your bong with paper towels or newspaper to prevent condensation and frost from forming on the outside.
- Put your wrapped bong in a plastic bag and seal it tightly.
- Place your bagged bong in the freezer for at least 12 hours or overnight.
- Take out your frozen bong from the freezer and unwrap it carefully.
- Gently squeeze and bend your silicone bong to crack off the frozen resin. You can also use a wooden spoon or spatula to scrape off any stubborn bits.
- Rinse your bong with warm water to remove any remaining resin flakes.
- Lay upside down on a dish rack to dry.
This method should leave your silicone bong resin-free and odorless.
Method 3: Alcohol and Salt
This method is similar to the one used for cleaning glass bongs, but with some modifications. You will need some rubbing alcohol (at least 70% concentration), coarse salt (such as kosher or sea salt), a ziplock bag, a rubber band and some cotton balls or hand towels. This method works best for silicone bongs that have a lot of resin buildup and need a deep cleaning. Here are the steps to follow:
- Take out the glass slide or downstem and put them in a ziplock bag with some alcohol and salt. Seal the bag and shake it well to dissolve the resin. Set aside for later.
- Pour some alcohol and salt into the silicone bong. The amount depends on the size of your bong, but you want enough to cover the bottom and reach the joint.
- Plug any holes with cotton balls or hand towels. You can also use a rubber band to secure them in place.
- Shake the bong and salt/alcohol solution for at least 5 minutes, or until you see the resin coming off the walls.
- Dump out the dirty solution and rinse your bong with hot water.
- Repeat the process if necessary until your bong is completely clean.
- Rinse your bong again with cold water to remove any alcohol residue.
- Lay upside down on a dish rack to dry.
- Rinse your glass slide or downstem with warm water and dry them with a towel.
This method should leave your silicone bong squeaky clean and sanitized.
Cleaning a silicone bong is not as hard as it may seem. You just need to choose the right method for your situation and follow some simple steps. By keeping your silicone bong clean, you will enjoy smoother, tastier and healthier hits every time. Plus, you will extend the lifespan of your silicone bong and prevent any mold or bacteria from growing inside it. So, don’t wait any longer and give your silicone bong some love and care today!