A bong is a device that allows you to smoke herbs or tobacco in a smooth and filtered way. The smoke passes through water, which cools it down and removes some of the harmful substances. Smoking out of a bong can be a relaxing and enjoyable experience, but it can also be intimidating if you don’t know what to do. Here are some steps to help you smoke out of a bong like a pro.
What You Need
- A bong. You can find them online or in head shops. Make sure your bong has a downstem and a bowl.
- Your favorite herb or tobacco. You can use any kind of dried plant material, but make sure it is legal in your area.
- A grinder. This will help you break up your herb or tobacco into small pieces that will burn evenly.
- A lighter or hemp wick. You will need something to ignite your herb or tobacco.
- Water. You will need to fill the bong with water to create the filtration system.
How to Smoke Out of a Bong
- Fill the bong with water. Pour water through the mouthpiece, which is the large opening at the top of the bong. Fill it until the bottom of the downstem, which is the long tube that sticks into the bong, is fully submerged. You don’t need more water than that, or you might get splashed while smoking.
- Grind your herb or tobacco. Use your grinder to chop up your plant material into fine pieces. This will help it burn better and produce more smoke.
- Pack the bowl. The bowl is the funnel-shaped piece that sits in the outside part of the downstem. Take some of the ground herb or tobacco and pack it lightly into the bowl. Don’t pack it too tightly, or you will restrict the airflow. If you are smoking alone, don’t pack more than half of the bowl. You can always pack more later.
- Hold the bong with your non-dominant hand. Wrap your hand around the smoke chamber, which is the long section that connects the mouthpiece and the water chamber, or hold the bong from the bottom.
- Put your mouth over the mouthpiece. Make sure your lips are inside the mouthpiece, not around it. This will create a seal and prevent any smoke from escaping.
- Cover the carb hole with your thumb. The carb hole is a small hole on the side of the bong that allows you to control the airflow. If your bong doesn’t have one, you will need to pull out the bowl slightly when you are ready to inhale.
- Light the bowl with your lighter or hemp wick. Hold the flame over the herb or tobacco and inhale slowly through your mouth. You will see the smoke start to bubble up through the water and fill the smoke chamber.
- Stop lighting the bowl when you have enough smoke. Set aside your lighter or hemp wick and get ready to inhale.
- Inhale the smoke from the chamber. Remove your thumb from the carb hole, or pull out the bowl if you don’t have one, and inhale deeply through your mouth. You will feel the smoke enter your lungs and give you a sensation of relaxation.
- Exhale the smoke slowly. Blow out the smoke through your mouth or nose, whichever you prefer. Be careful not to cough too hard, as this might irritate your throat and lungs.
- Repeat as desired. You can take as many hits as you want from your bong, as long as there is still some herb or tobacco left in the bowl. When it is all burned up, you can pack more if you want to keep smoking.
How to Clean Your Bong
After smoking out of a bong, you should clean it regularly to prevent any residue from building up and affecting the taste and quality of your smoke. Here are some steps to clean your bong easily.
- Empty out the water and ash from your bong. Pour out the dirty water from the mouthpiece and tap out any ash from the bowl.
- Disassemble your bong. Take apart all the pieces of your bong, such as the downstem, bowl, and any other attachments.
- Rinse everything with hot water. Run hot water through all parts of your bong to remove any loose dirt and debris.
- Fill a zipper-top plastic bag with a cleaning solution. You can use a commercial bong cleaner, or make your own by mixing rubbing alcohol and coarse salt.
- Put the smaller parts of your bong in the bag. Place the downstem, bowl, and any other small pieces in the bag and seal it. Shake the bag gently to coat everything with the solution.
- Pour some of the solution into the bong. Fill the bong with enough solution to cover the inside of the smoke chamber and the water chamber.
- Cover the holes of the bong with plugs. You can use rubber stoppers, corks, or anything else that fits snugly into the holes of your bong.
- Shake the bong gently. Hold the bong firmly and shake it to agitate the solution inside. This will help loosen any stubborn residue.
- Let everything soak for a while. Depending on how dirty your bong is, you might need to let it soak for a few minutes or a few hours.
- Rinse everything with hot water again. Remove the plugs from the bong and pour out the solution. Take out the smaller parts from the bag and rinse them as well. Make sure there is no trace of alcohol or salt left.
- Dry everything with a towel or paper towels. Wipe down all parts of your bong and let them air dry completely before reassembling and storing your bong.
Now you know how to smoke out of a bong like a pro. Enjoy your smooth and filtered smoke, and remember to always use your bong responsibly and respectfully.