If you enjoy smoking herb or tobacco from a glass bong, you know how important it is to keep it clean and fresh. A dirty bong can ruin the taste of your smoke, make you cough more, and harbor harmful bacteria and mold. That’s why you should clean your bong regularly, preferably after every use or at least once a week. In this blog post, we’ll show you how to clean a glass bong using simple household ingredients and tools.
What You’ll Need
To clean a glass bong, you’ll need the following items:
- Isopropyl alcohol (90% or higher is best)
- Coarse salt (such as kosher or sea salt)
- Resealable plastic bags (large enough to fit the smaller parts of your bong)
- Cotton swabs or pipe cleaners (for scrubbing hard-to-reach areas)
- Dish soap and warm water (for rinsing)
If you don’t have isopropyl alcohol, you can also use vinegar, baking soda, lemon juice, or boiling water as alternatives. However, alcohol is the most effective and widely available option.
Step 1: Prepping the Bong
The first step is to separate all the moving parts from the bong, such as the slide, the bowl, and the stem. This will make it easier to clean them individually and prevent any damage from shaking or scrubbing. You may want to wear latex gloves, as the resin can be sticky and smelly.
Next, rinse out the pieces in hot water to loosen up any big chunks of resin that may be clogging up your bong. The hotter the water the better, but be careful not to burn yourself or crack the glass. If your piece is cold, start with lukewarm water and gradually increase the temperature.
Then, knock off any large pieces of resin with cotton swabs or pipe cleaners. If there are any stubborn chunks that resist, don’t worry. You’ll get rid of them in the next step.
Finally, place the smaller parts in resealable plastic bags and make sure they can seal effectively. You’ll use these bags to soak the parts in alcohol and salt.
Step 2: Cleaning the Slide and Bowl
The second step is to clean the slide and bowl, which are usually the dirtiest parts of a bong. To do this, follow these instructions:
- Fill your plastic bags with isopropyl alcohol until the pieces are fully submerged.
- Add a generous amount of coarse salt to each bag. The salt will act as an abrasive agent that will help dislodge the resin.
- Seal the bags and shake them vigorously for a minute or two. You should see the alcohol turning brown as it dissolves the resin.
- Let the bags sit for 10-15 minutes or longer if needed. You can also place them in a bowl of hot water to speed up the process.
- Open the bags and pour out the alcohol/salt mixture. Be careful not to spill it on yourself or any surfaces, as it can stain and smell.
- Rinse the pieces with warm water and dish soap to remove any traces of alcohol or salt. Use cotton swabs or pipe cleaners to scrub any remaining resin.
If your slide and bowl are still dirty after this process, you can repeat it until they are clean. You can also let them soak in alcohol overnight for deeper cleaning.
Step 3: Cleaning the Bong
The third step is to clean the bong itself, which is similar to cleaning the slide and bowl but on a larger scale. To do this, follow these instructions:
- Pour some isopropyl alcohol into your bong until it’s about halfway full.
- Add some coarse salt to your bong. The amount will depend on the size of your bong, but you want enough to cover the bottom and create some friction when you shake it.
- Cover the holes of your bong with your hands or some plastic wrap and rubber bands. Make sure there are no leaks.
- Shake your bong vigorously for a minute or two. You should see the alcohol turning brown as it dissolves the resin.
- Let your bong sit for 10-15 minutes or longer if needed. You can also place it in a bowl of hot water to speed up the process.
- Pour out the alcohol/salt mixture. Be careful not to spill it on yourself or any surfaces, as it can stain and smell.
- Rinse your bong with warm water and dish soap to remove any traces of alcohol or salt. Use cotton swabs or pipe cleaners to scrub any remaining resin.
If your bong is still dirty after this process, you can repeat it until it is clean. You can also let it soak in alcohol overnight for deeper cleaning.
Step 4: Drying and Enjoying Your Bong
The final step is to dry and enjoy your bong. To do this, follow these instructions:
- Let your bong and its parts air dry on a towel or paper towels until they don’t smell like alcohol. This may take an hour or more depending on the humidity and ventilation.
- Reassemble your bong and admire its sparkling appearance.
- Pack a fresh bowl of herb or tobacco and enjoy the smooth and flavorful smoke from your clean bong.
Congratulations, you’ve successfully cleaned your glass bong! You should notice a big difference in the quality of your smoking experience. To keep your bong in good condition, remember to change the water after every smoke session and deep clean it roughly once a week. Happy smoking!
- How to Properly Clean Any Type of Bong – Insider
- 3 Ways to Clean a Glass Bong – wikiHow
- How to Clean Glass Bongs & Pipes | Leafly
- How to Clean a Bong – WayofLeaf