If you enjoy smoking herb or tobacco from a glass bong, you know how satisfying it can be to inhale the smooth and flavorful smoke. But you also know how unpleasant it can be to deal with the smell of a dirty bong that has been sitting around for too long. The smell of resin and tar can linger in your room, on your clothes, and even on your breath. Not to mention, smoking from a dirty bong can ruin the taste of your herb or tobacco, and expose you to harmful bacteria and mold.
That’s why it’s important to clean your glass bong regularly and properly. Cleaning your bong will not only get rid of the smell, but also improve your smoking experience and your health. In this blog post, we will show you how to clean a glass bong using simple ingredients and tools that you probably have at home. We will also give you some tips on how to prevent the smell from coming back.
What you need to clean a glass bong
To clean a glass bong, you don’t need any fancy products or equipment. All you need is:
- Isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol). The higher the percentage, the better. You can find it in the first aid section of your supermarket or pharmacy.
- Coarse salt. This will act as an abrasive to scrub off the resin and tar from the glass.
- Resealable plastic bags. You will use these to soak the smaller parts of your bong, such as the bowl and the stem.
- Cotton swabs or pipe cleaners. You will use these to knock off any large chunks of resin that you can reach.
- Dish soap and warm water. You will use these to rinse off the alcohol and salt from your bong.
How to clean a glass bong
Now that you have everything you need, follow these steps to clean your glass bong:
- Separate all the parts of your bong. Take apart the bowl, the stem, and any other removable pieces from the main body of your bong.
- Rinse out the pieces in hot water. This will loosen up some of the resin and tar that may be clogging up your bong. Be careful not to use boiling water, as this could crack the glass. If your piece is cold, start with lukewarm water and gradually increase the temperature.
- Knock off any big pieces of resin with cotton swabs or pipe cleaners. If there are any large chunks of resin that you can easily reach, simply knock them off with gentle scrubbing. Don’t worry if some chunks resist, you will get rid of them later.
- Place the smaller parts in resealable plastic bags. Make sure that they can seal effectively. You will use the bags to contain your cleaning fluid while you soak the smaller pieces.
- Fill your plastic bags with isopropyl alcohol and salt. Make sure the pieces are fully submerged in the fluid. Alcohol reacts with the resin and tar, making it easier to remove. Salt acts as an abrasive to scrub off the residue from the glass.
- Shake the bags for a minute or two. This will help the alcohol and salt mixture to reach every corner of your pieces and dissolve the resin and tar.
- Let the bags sit for a few hours or overnight. This will allow the alcohol and salt to soak into the stubborn stains and break them down.
- Pour out the alcohol/salt mixture from the bags. You will see that it has turned brown or black from all the dirt that it has removed from your pieces.
- Rinse the pieces with warm water and dish soap. This will wash off any remaining alcohol, salt, resin, or tar from your pieces. Make sure no residue is left behind.
- Fill your bong with isopropyl alcohol and salt. Repeat the same process as you did with the smaller pieces, but this time with the main body of your bong.
- Plug the holes and shake it for a minute or two. This will help the alcohol and salt mixture to reach every corner of your bong and dissolve the resin and tar.
- Let it sit for a few hours or overnight. This will allow the alcohol and salt to soak into the stubborn stains and break them down.
- Pour out the alcohol/salt mixture from the bong. You will see that it has turned brown or black from all the dirt that it has removed from your bong.
- Rinse the bong with warm water and dish soap. This will wash off any remaining alcohol, salt, resin, or tar from your bong. Make sure no residue is left behind.
- Let it dry until it doesn’t smell like alcohol. This may take an hour or so, depending on the size of your bong and the ventilation of your room.
- Reassemble your bong and enjoy a fresh smoke. You will notice that your bong looks shiny and new, and that your smoke tastes better and smoother.
How to prevent the smell of a glass bong
Now that you know how to clean a glass bong, you may wonder how to prevent the smell from coming back. Here are some tips to keep your bong smelling fresh:
- Change the water in your bong after every smoke session. This will prevent the water from getting stale and smelly, and also reduce the amount of resin and tar that builds up in your bong.
- Clean your bong regularly. Depending on how often you use your bong, you may want to deep clean it once a week or once a month. This will prevent the resin and tar from accumulating and hardening in your bong, making it easier to clean and less smelly.
- Store your bong in a cool, dry, and dark place. This will prevent the growth of bacteria and mold in your bong, which can cause bad smells and health problems.
- Use natural alternatives to alcohol and salt. If you don’t have alcohol or salt available, or if you want to avoid using harsh chemicals, you can use lemon juice, vinegar, baking soda, or hydrogen peroxide instead. These are natural ingredients that have similar cleaning properties as alcohol and salt.
Cleaning a glass bong is not a difficult task, but it can make a big difference in your smoking experience and your health. By following the steps above, you can get rid of the smell of a glass bong after using it, and enjoy a smooth and flavorful smoke every time. Remember to change the water in your bong regularly, clean it thoroughly once in a while, and store it properly to keep it fresh and clean.
We hope this blog post was helpful for you. If you have any questions or comments, feel free to leave them below. Happy smoking!