If you enjoy smoking herb or tobacco from a glass bong, you know how important it is to keep it clean and unclogged. A dirty bong can ruin your smoking experience by making the hits harsher, dulling the flavor, and exposing you to mold and bacteria. Not to mention, it looks unsightly and smells bad.
Fortunately, cleaning your glass bong is not a difficult task. You only need some simple household items and a few minutes of your time. In this blog post, we will show you how to prevent your glass bong from getting clogged or dirty, and how to clean it when it does.
How to Prevent Your Glass Bong from Getting Clogged or Dirty
The best way to prevent your glass bong from getting clogged or dirty is to maintain it regularly. Here are some tips to follow:
- Change the water after every session. This will prevent the water from becoming stale and contaminated with tar, resin, and bacteria. Stale water can also affect the taste and smell of your smoke.
- Rinse the bong with hot water before and after use. This will help loosen any debris and wash away any residue that may stick to the glass.
- Use a screen or a filter in the bowl. This will prevent ash and herb particles from entering the bong and clogging the stem or the percolator. Screens and filters are cheap and easy to replace.
- Avoid overpacking the bowl. This will ensure a smooth airflow and prevent combustion. Overpacking can also cause the herb to spill over into the bong and create a mess.
- Clean your bong at least once a week. This will prevent the buildup of tar and resin that can harden over time and make cleaning more difficult. A weekly cleaning will also keep your bong sparkling and fresh.
How to Clean Your Glass Bong
If your glass bong is already clogged or dirty, don’t worry. You can easily restore it to its original glory with some simple steps. Here’s what you need:
- Isopropyl alcohol (70% or higher). This is a powerful solvent that can dissolve tar and resin without damaging the glass. You can find it in any pharmacy or grocery store.
- Coarse salt (such as kosher or sea salt). This is an abrasive agent that can scrub away any stubborn gunk that the alcohol can’t reach. You can also use baking soda instead of salt.
- A resealable plastic bag or a container. This is where you will soak the smaller parts of the bong, such as the bowl, the slide, and the stem.
- A pipe cleaner, a cotton swab, or a sponge. These are optional tools that can help you reach any hard-to-clean areas of the bong, such as the inside of the stem or the percolator.
Here’s how to clean your glass bong:
- Detach the smaller parts and rinse them with hot water. Remove any removable pieces from the bong, such as the bowl, the slide, and the stem. Run them under hot water for a few minutes to loosen any debris and wash away any bits that aren’t stuck too much. You can also use a pipe cleaner, a cotton swab, or a sponge to remove any larger chunks of resin or ash.
- Place the parts in a plastic bag or a container with alcohol and salt. Put the smaller parts into a resealable plastic bag or a food storage container. Then, pour enough isopropyl alcohol to cover them, and add 1-2 tablespoons of coarse salt. Seal the bag or container and shake it gently for a few minutes to distribute the salt into the crevices of the parts.
- Let them soak for 4-5 hours or overnight. Set aside the bag or container and let the parts soak in the alcohol-salt mixture for several hours or overnight. This will allow the alcohol to penetrate into the resin and dissolve it.
- Rinse them with warm water and let them dry. After soaking, pour out the alcohol-salt mixture and rinse the parts with warm water. Make sure to remove any traces of alcohol or salt that may be left behind. Then, let them air dry on a paper towel or a cloth.
- Fill the bong with alcohol and salt, shake it, and let it soak. Pour some isopropyl alcohol into the bong, enough to cover the dirty areas. Then, add 3-4 tablespoons of coarse salt. Plug the holes of the bong with your fingers or some paper towels, and shake it vigorously over the sink for a few minutes. Then, let the bong soak in the alcohol-salt mixture for 4-5 hours or overnight.
- Rinse it with warm water and let it dry. After soaking, pour out the alcohol-salt mixture and rinse the bong with warm water. Use a pipe cleaner, a cotton swab, or a sponge to scrub any remaining resin or dirt from the inside of the bong. Then, let it air dry on a rack or a towel.
Congratulations! You have successfully cleaned your glass bong and made it look as good as new. Enjoy your smooth and flavorful smoke sessions with your sparkling bong.