Glass bongs are popular devices for smoking herb or tobacco, offering smooth hits and a variety of designs. However, glass bongs are not indestructible, and they can suffer from various problems and issues that can affect their performance and appearance. In this blog post, we will discuss some of the most common problems and issues that glass bong users face and how to solve them.
Problem 1: Dirty or clogged bong
One of the most common problems that glass bong users face is a dirty or clogged bong. A dirty or clogged bong can result from frequent use, poor maintenance, or hard water. A dirty or clogged bong can cause several issues, such as:
- Reduced airflow and harsher hits
- Unpleasant smell and taste
- Bacterial growth and health risks
- Stained or cloudy glass
Solution: The best way to prevent a dirty or clogged bong is to clean it regularly, preferably after every use or at least once a week. Cleaning a glass bong is easy and cheap, and all you need is:
- Isopropyl alcohol (70% or 90%)
- Coarse salt
- Ziplock bags or plastic wrap
- Rubber bands or tape
- Paper towels or cotton swabs
To clean a glass bong, follow these steps:
- Pour out the water from the bong and disassemble it into separate parts (bowl, downstem, etc.)
- Pour some alcohol and salt into the main chamber of the bong and plug the holes with ziplock bags or plastic wrap secured with rubber bands or tape.
- Pour some alcohol and salt into each part of the bong and place them in separate ziplock bags.
- Shake the bong and the parts vigorously for a few minutes to loosen up the dirt and resin.
- Pour out the alcohol/salt mixture and rinse the bong and the parts with warm water.
- Use paper towels or cotton swabs to wipe off any remaining residue.
- Let the bong and the parts dry completely before reassembling and using them.
If your bong is very dirty or clogged, you may need to repeat the process or let it soak in alcohol for a few hours or overnight. You can also use specially made bong cleaners from head shops or weed stores, but they may be more expensive and contain unnecessary chemicals.
Problem 2: Broken or cracked glass
Another common problem that glass bong users face is broken or cracked glass. Broken or cracked glass can result from accidental drops, knocks, thermal shock, or poor quality. Broken or cracked glass can cause several issues, such as:
- Leaking water or smoke
- Cutting yourself on sharp edges
- Losing functionality or aesthetics
- Risking further damage or shattering
Solution: The best way to prevent broken or cracked glass is to handle your bong carefully, store it safely, avoid sudden temperature changes, and invest in a high-quality piece. However, if your bong is already broken or cracked, you may be able to fix it yourself depending on the severity of the damage. Here are some possible methods to fix a broken or cracked glass bong:
- Food grade silicone: This is a non-toxic substance that can be used as a sealant for cracks, chips, or clean breaks in the body or joints of the bong. You can apply it to the damaged area and let it cure for 24 hours before using the bong again. Food grade silicone is resistant to damage and does not crack, crumble, peel, or dry out.
- Duct tape: This is a cheap and easy option for repairing minor cracks or leaks in the bong. You can wrap it around the damaged area several times to create a tight seal. However, duct tape is not very discreet, durable, or attractive, and it may peel off over time.
- Glass glue: This is a specialized adhesive that can bond glass pieces together. You can use it to reattach clean-cut pieces of glass that broke off from the bong. However, glass glue may not work well for cracks, chips, or irregular breaks, and it may contain toxic solvents that you don’t want to inhale.
- Professional repair: If your bong is very expensive, sentimental, or complex, you may want to consider taking it to a professional glassblower or repair shop. They may be able to fix your bong using advanced techniques and tools. However, this option may be costly and time-consuming, and there is no guarantee that your bong will be restored to its original condition.
If none of these methods work or if your bong is shattered beyond repair, you may have to accept the loss and buy a new one. You can also recycle or repurpose your broken glass bong into something else, such as a vase, a lamp, or a decoration.
Glass bongs are great devices for smoking herb or tobacco, but they can also suffer from various problems and issues that can affect their performance and appearance. Some of the most common problems and issues that glass bong users face are dirty or clogged bongs and broken or cracked glass. Fortunately, there are ways to solve these problems and keep your bong in good shape. By cleaning your bong regularly, handling it carefully, and fixing it properly, you can enjoy smooth and flavorful hits from your glass bong for a long time.